The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you let melted plants and algae go while ADA aquasoil is being cycled or should I be pulling it out of the tank? I feel like the vast majority of my Marsilea is melted and if I pull it out, I’ll have none.. This is my first aquarium so your advice is much appreciated. I found my first mystery snail today and it’s been a week since I started the tank and I’ve done daily 50% WC.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
You sound like you're right on track. It honestly looks like normal diatoms. Just keep going with normal water changes and suck up a much as you can. Leave the roots but remove the melted vegetation and it should take care of itself.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You sound like you're right on track. It honestly looks like normal diatoms. Just keep going with normal water changes and suck up a much as you can. Leave the roots but remove the melted vegetation and it should take care of itself.
When I do my water changes and suck things up, what all should I be sucking up? Should I make cuts to the melted plants and then suck them up? Or should I just use the siphon to try and pull the melt off. I think it may pull the root up...

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I do my water changes and suck things up, what all should I be sucking up? Should I make cuts to the melted plants and then suck them up? Or should I just use the siphon to try and pull the melt off. I think it may pull the root up...
I personally snip off the melted leaves and siphon the area around the Amazon Swords in the aquarium. I do have part sand and gravel substrate.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I usually pinch off or snip. Sometimes I play the siphon game, depending on the type of plant. Just keep an eye on your parameters, considering it's a new set up to make sure there's not an ammonia spike from the melt off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I usually pinch off or snip. Sometimes I play the siphon game, depending on the type of plant. Just keep an eye on your parameters, considering it's a new set up to make sure there's not an ammonia spike from the melt off.
I checked parameters today and I have the following figures:
Ammonia - 0.75
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5.0

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Good numbers, make sure ammonia doesn't spike above 4, nitrite above 4 or nitrate above 40, that's about it. Keep up with your scheduled water changes, co2 and ferts and it should work itself out in time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like pond snails may have hitched a ride and now feasting. I have to wait a few days when they get a bit larger to know for sure, but there are dozens of them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts