The Planted Tank Forum banner

New tank suggestions

472 8
Hi I just upgraded from a 5 gallon to a 10 gallon 20x10x10.5.

I have 2 unidentified sword plants and 2 apogens looknig thing. I jsut put a onion bulb and water lilly bulb in there hoping to sprout. Using store bought sand and have a cool piece of driftwood i got from the local petsmart, has s bit of some kinda moss on it.

Only fish I have is a betta...was wondering what type of companion in this size tank would work well with the plants. Any other suggestions would help - especially on how to get more moss to grow on the driftwood.

Also, do you guys using root tabs? I found a few that just turned into some type of jelly that was a pain to clean. Do they do anything? SHould I just do a better job of burying them? thanks :)
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
you just get more moss or rip some excess (if you have it) and tie it to the driftwood with thread. it will eventually attach itself

you should put the root tabs directly under the plant that needs it and push it all the way down to the bottom. definately shouldnt be exposed to the water column

swords usually get too big for a 10 gallon by themselves. not sure if you're gonna have a lot of room in there soon

·
Registered
423 Posts
Do you actually remove the bulb yourself or will it fall off on its own?

Well there's nobody there to remove anything in nature and they do just fine.

But I agree with timwag. I've never had great luck with those bulbs.

I'd suggest you get some actual plants if you want a planted tank. And since you mentioned that you shop at petsmart... Don't buy aquatic plants there. Most of them aren't aquatic plants.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't buy aquatic plants there. Most of them aren't aquatic plants.
I have learned this the hard way.

Regarding the bulbs however, I have actually had good luck. I have 4 plants that have been thriving for several months(2 sword and 2 apogen, like i mentioned in the beginning of this thread), survived transplant into new tank. They are between 8 and 12 inches tall. All of them came from bulbs. One of them I have had for almost a year, but I noticed the bulb is still attached, which is why I asked.

I just added 4 new bulbs hoping to get at least 2 to sprout. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.