The Planted Tank Forum banner

New Tank, Small Fish?

1428 Views 9 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Thelongsnail
So, I'm planning on starting a 20-gallon long tank within the next month. Obviously planted, heavily, and then I would like to put some RCS, some fire red shrimp, or other types of shrimp into the tank. Along with the shrimp (which I would like to have around 30 to start off with), I want to add some fish and nerites.

I have been looking around for a nice schooling fish which I can get around 15 of. None have really peaked my interest, the ones that I like the most are neon or cardinal tetras, but I am just looking for something you aren't going to find everywhere.

I saw pea puffers, but then read up on them and they said that they can be quite aggressive, which is no bueno. I want to know if this is true, or if I would be able to get some.

I would like fish that don't grow over 1.5" since if they grow too big they will become a threat to the shrimp.

If there are any other suggestions for fish that aren't your everyday fish, please let me know. Thank you.
Reactions: Discusluv
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
550 Posts
There's a lot of n-class endlers on ebay right now; I've done well with blue stars, which are pretty but more understated than many.

Any micro-rasboras would be lovely.

Clown killifish/Rocket panchax stay small and look great, but can be very territorial.

Pea puffers are great, but I'm 95% certain they'd destroy your shrimp colony in a matter of days. They'd have a lot of fun doing it though.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.