The Planted Tank Forum banner

New Tank, Small Fish?

1394 9
So, I'm planning on starting a 20-gallon long tank within the next month. Obviously planted, heavily, and then I would like to put some RCS, some fire red shrimp, or other types of shrimp into the tank. Along with the shrimp (which I would like to have around 30 to start off with), I want to add some fish and nerites.

I have been looking around for a nice schooling fish which I can get around 15 of. None have really peaked my interest, the ones that I like the most are neon or cardinal tetras, but I am just looking for something you aren't going to find everywhere.

I saw pea puffers, but then read up on them and they said that they can be quite aggressive, which is no bueno. I want to know if this is true, or if I would be able to get some.

I would like fish that don't grow over 1.5" since if they grow too big they will become a threat to the shrimp.

If there are any other suggestions for fish that aren't your everyday fish, please let me know. Thank you.
Reactions: Discusluv
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
5,705 Posts
So, I'm planning on starting a 20-gallon long tank within the next month. Obviously planted, heavily, and then I would like to put some RCS, some fire red shrimp, or other types of shrimp into the tank. Along with the shrimp (which I would like to have around 30 to start off with), I want to add some fish and nerites.

I have been looking around for a nice schooling fish which I can get around 15 of. None have really peaked my interest, the ones that I like the most are neon or cardinal tetras, but I am just looking for something you aren't going to find everywhere.

I saw pea puffers, but then read up on them and they said that they can be quite aggressive, which is no bueno. I want to know if this is true, or if I would be able to get some.

I would like fish that don't grow over 1.5" since if they grow too big they will become a threat to the shrimp.

If there are any other suggestions for fish that aren't your everyday fish, please let me know. Thank you.
Look at :
Tucanoichthys tucano ( Tucano tetra)
Hyphessobrycon amandae ( Ember tetra)
Nannostomus sp. ( Pencilfish) some smaller varieties: N. anduzei, N. digrammus, N. marginatus, N. minimus, N. mortenthaleri, N. nitidus, and N. rubrocaudatus.
Boraras brigittae ( Chili Rasbora)
Poropanchax normani ( Norman's Lampeye Killifish)
Pseudomugil furcatu (Forktail Blue-eyed Rainbowfish)

If none of these are appealing I can list more. :)

· Registered
923 Posts
How about sundadanio axelrodi - they can be a little tricker to find depending where you are, but they have similar blue/green to the cardinals - well even nicer in my opinion. Once they colour up, they look amazing when they catch the light. Also very shrimp safe, won't guarantee they never eat a tiny baby but certainly don't seem to actively hunt them and my shrimp populations growing well. Green neons are another option - not as common as the regular kind, but nice small fish that shoal well.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look at :
Tucanoichthys tucano ( Tucano tetra)
Hyphessobrycon amandae ( Ember tetra)
Nannostomus sp. ( Pencilfish) some smaller varieties: N. anduzei, N. digrammus, N. marginatus, N. minimus, N. mortenthaleri, N. nitidus, and N. rubrocaudatus.
Boraras brigittae ( Chili Rasbora)
Poropanchax normani ( Norman's Lampeye Killifish)
Pseudomugil furcatu (Forktail Blue-eyed Rainbowfish)

If none of these are appealing I can list more. :)

I enjoy the look of the forktailed blue-eyed rainbow and the normans killifish

I read about killifish and it said they are a seasonal fish so they have a shorter lifespan, is this true?

If you have any other suggestions I would very much appreciate them. Thank you.

· Registered
107 Posts
I enjoy the look of the forktailed blue-eyed rainbow and the normans killifish

I read about killifish and it said they are a seasonal fish so they have a shorter lifespan, is this true?
There are two types of killifish - annuals and non-annuals. Annuals evolved to live in puddles and ponds. They live about 9 months, lay eggs, die when the pond dries up and then their young hatch during the next rainy season.

As for tetras, they'll snack on RCS.

· Registered
323 Posts
I have recently found a few strains of pretty guppy/endler hybrids available - they have the smaller size of endlers but the beautiful established color patterns of guppies and the males typically won't get longer than 1.5" or maybe 2" for a bigger one.

Purple lumin (guppy endler hybrid, only males available): Purple Lumin 1"

Sunset endler/guppy (only males available): Sunset Endler/Guppy

Dwarf blue panda guppy (these are a hybrid but they're not always labeled as such): https://aquaticarts.com/products/blue-panda-guppy

There are quite a few options like this, I just shared some of the ones that caught my interest during my research.

· Registered
550 Posts
There's a lot of n-class endlers on ebay right now; I've done well with blue stars, which are pretty but more understated than many.

Any micro-rasboras would be lovely.

Clown killifish/Rocket panchax stay small and look great, but can be very territorial.

Pea puffers are great, but I'm 95% certain they'd destroy your shrimp colony in a matter of days. They'd have a lot of fun doing it though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.