1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Size: 90 Gallons

Date Started: March 7th, 2014

Lighting
Odyssea Quad T5HO with 2x Geisemann Middays and 2x Geisemann Aquaflora bulbs.

Equipment
Magnum 350 Canister filter.. 2x 300 watt Heaters.
5 lb pressurized C02 system (regulator,needlevalve, solenoid). Cheap bubblecounter and glass atomic diffuser.

Substrate
2x 15lb bags of Flourite on the bottom layer, 2x 20lb bags of Eco-Complete on top of/mixed with the flourite. Finally, 1x 20lb bag of ADA Aquasoil Amazonia on top of all that to help first rooting and carpeting of the tank.

Parameters/Fertilization:
PH: 6.4-6.6
Nitrates: 5ppm
All other readings normal..
Fertilization Flourish "Envy" dose 2x a week, Flourish complete Fert dose 2x week.

Plants 2x Micranthemum umbrosum
2x Microsorum pteropus
4x Hemianthus callitrichoides
1x Hygrophila angustifolia
1x Pogostemon stellatus
1x Glossostigma elatinoides
1x Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae
2x Blyxa japonica
2x Java moss
(I plan on adding a lot more plants very soon to help with nutrient absorption)

Inhabitants Not really stocked to what I want (rainbows, cardinal tetras) but there currently is:
1x H. Rasbora
1x Z. Danio
1x chinese algae eater
2x Emerald barbs (Super friendly but probably going once I stock my preferred fish)

Misc.
Tank is very new right now but I hope to get a nice carpet of the Dwarf baby tears on the left side of the tank and grow assortments of bushier plants on the right side. The stone is Seiryu stone that was treated in muriatic acid prior to placement in tank. The canister filter is well cycled prior to tank set up.

Advice? Concerns? Let me know if there is anything you guys suggest I could do to ensure healthy plant growth! Really want that nice carpet of HC on the left side.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Never heard of "Envy" before so could you give more detail on it ? Perhaps a link ?
Of course my not having heard of it will likely only be on the third or fourth page
rathr than the front page of the paper but I would like to check out things which
have slipped by me along the fert line. The plants can utilize water column ferts but
without much of them it's courting green water to use much of them.
You will eventually want some red as anyone with high tech equipment does.
An easy to grow stemmed plant that would get you three steps into it would be
Rotala Mexicana planted in the left corner in front of the heater or on the right in front of the pick up and heater on that side would make an interesting background as well as hide some equipment. An easy but not loud red serving multiple useful purposes.
With those lights I'd do no more than 7 hrs tops till you add lots more plants in there.
Even at that you may go through a green water issue before it's well established.
Actually checking/w a pond shop will get you a lily that grows fairly close to as high as your water is and would add some shade for the Java Fern as they tend to collect algae if in too much light.
Don't have personal exp./w those filters but I'd trade the carbon for a bio-media such as sea chem Matix. Because of a very short useful life span and the aledged capacity
to re-introduce what it has filtered back into the water, carbon serves little useful
purpose except when using meds for the tank and you are finished/w them and would like them removed.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The Magnum 350 filter is not really a good everyday canister filter. It's limited by it's capacity for media. It is however a great water polishing filter when use with the pleated filter. If it was me and this was my tank, I would look for better filter (Rena XP3, Ehiem, Fluval 406). In the long run you will be much happier with the noise level and maintenance.
You need lots more plants, at least get cheap stem plants to get things going. Then trade out the stems for different or more sought after species. Trying to start with to few and you are looking at falling into the " battling algae crowd " instead of the "I grow plants " crowd.
Tank looks good so far. Keep up the good work.

·
Premium Member
Rank Amateur
1,371 Posts
+1 on Raymond S.' fertilization concerns...

When you say flourish complete, do you mean flourish comprehensive or do you mean you found the complete line of nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium and are adding those? If you mean flourish comprehensive, then that and Envy: http://www.aquavitro.com/products/envy.html are both what we call micro nutrients. With your lighting, co2, and intention of a high light, high tech tank, you should probably look into macro nutrients soon, it not in the beginning.

Here's the nutrient section on Darkblade's Primer to planted tanks if you haven't seen it already.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=107303#4 Actually, you should probably peruse through the entire primer if you haven't seen it already (scroll up after hitting the link). It addresses the importance of balancing light, nutrients, and co2 and may probably give you a unifying framework for all the advice that most people will give you on this forum.

Given the size of your tank, you should probably also get those macro nutrients in dry powder form since it'll be way cheaper. If your local fish store has it, then great! If not, check into one of the guys here on the sale forum. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=576290

At 90 gallons, I also have concerns about that one diffuser getting co2 to the entire tank. It could work, but you'll have to be mindful of how your water flows to carry co2 throughout the entire tank. Some people start looking into reactors by the time they get past 40 gallons since they tend to mix co2 into the water a bit more efficiently. But this is something that you'll figure out in trial and error.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys! Thanks for all the feedback!

The ferts I use are:
http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Flourish.html
and
http://www.aquavitro.com/products/envy.html (as ipkiss kindly posted :])

If I do get into a macro nutrient? Can you guys suggest anything specifically?

Also, I'm definitely going to look into a more heavy duty filter and keep the magnum with only its water polishing media on it.

Is this light going to be enough for HC carpeting? I made sure to buy high quality bulbs such as the geisemann middays and aquaflora. Also, I try to have the c02 spread out as much as possible by keeping the diffuser right under the powerhead.. but I do need to add a second power head diagonally on the opposite side of the tank to keep the water moving all the way around in a circle.

I'll defintely cut down the light to about 6-7 hours a day until I get more plants... Thursday I plan on picking up at least twice as much as I have now.

Thanks for all the help so far guys!! You're all great!

Glad to be apart of this forum :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bump!

+here is a photo of the updated tank... I do notice some green algae/possibly some BBA appearing so I rushed out to the store and picked up 7-8 plant bushels to help until I get payed on thurs and pick up even more plants.

Some jungle vals/spiral vals, Heterantha, Cabomba.

Note*: I don't really like the placement of the jungle vals right now but I'm hoping when they grow in it would look better... let me know what you guys think.

*Might notice some plant clippings GROWING off my powerhead up in the top left hahaha.*

Attachments

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
You are on the right track. Love the driftwood. If you get a chance, grab some floaters like amazon frogbit, dwarf water lettuce. For your larger tank, Hygrophilia corymbosa, water sprite, ambulia, willow hygro will not only look good but would also get the tank stable faster. Limnophilia Cuba and Aromatica, Ludwigia repens would add some early color.

With dwarf baby tears: don't plant them too close, give each small clamp 2-3 square inches (I know, it's a pain). Given that the tank is flooded already, I would personally wait a month or so before planting it. It's not a cheap plant, and it's ugly dead. Patience.

Don't worry about vals - they will end up everywhere in the tank.

v3

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback OVT!

I've held on to the driftwood for a while now! the two pieces on the left are simply amazing.. protruding tall from the substrate in an almost alien like fashion.

I love your suggestions as well! I just need to see if any of my Ma and pa LFS carry any of the species before looking elsewhere online.. I was having some troubles organizing the different species of plants in the tank since I'm so new to the High tech planted aquarium scene..

Dwarf baby tears: Currently I have 4 potted plants that were removed from pots and placed in the left side of the tank around those 2 large pieces of driftwood.. I placed small rubble rocks of seiryu stone on top of the small mats to keep the weighed down till they rooted into the ADA aquasoil.. I'd say there is at least 3-4 inches between each bushel.. I'm curious though.. what do you mean by waiting a month before planting them? I planned on waiting a week or two more before removing the rocks and letting them grow into eachother to (hopefully) carpet the left/front side of the tank. I do see a VERY small amount of browning on some of them and a little green slime algae on another.. I figure this is due to my underplanting of the tank earlier and them also acclimating to a new tank enviroment.

regarding vals: Haha I trust your word... I just hope they spread nicely and don't take over the tank... still looking on how to properly trim these things so they're not always SUPER tall (2-4ft).

Thanks again guys!

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
You are welcome.
Please remind me to send you a PM once I become semi-functional mid day today :)

v3

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.