The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just starting a new tank. I filled it recently to soak the driftwood (too leach out all the tannins & to get it to sink) & too leak test the tank.

Unfortunately I'm in an area affected by the hurricane & lost power for over a wk. When the power came back on there is this white cottony looking substance, kinda stringy looking & slimy, coming off & attached to the dw. I did a 3/4 water change & put on a canister filter loaded up with charcoal ( it was starting to smell too). It seems to have cleared most of it up & it doesnt smell anymore.

My question is, What is this stuff?? I'm guessing its some kind of bacteria? & should I be worried about it? I ordered plants that are supposed to be here in two days.

The substrate is flourite capped with pfs & I already stuck a bunch of root tabs in it. The ph is 7.2 temp 76

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
It's probably just some fungus. Driftwood in tanks typically gets a bit of fungus on it shortly after it's been put in. Usually it seems to just go away on it's own, and some critters will eat it.

I'm guessing the power outage encouraged it, as well as maybe causing some of the water to go stagnant (my guess as to the odor).

running a filter with carbon for a bit is probably a good idea, and might help with the odor.

I imagine running it for a couple days to clear up the stagnation, and then maybe start the fishless cycling would probably be a good start.

The driftwood fungus seems to happen to most people, and I've never heard of any harm to plants or fish linked to it. Also, in my experience and from what I've heard from others, it usually clears up on it's own in a bit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts