The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just got off the phone with my friend and his neighbor is getting rid of his tank. Last time I was there it was an acrylic 55g(or so it looked, will get the measurements) and stand. He is giving it to my friend for free(my favorite number) and my friend is giving it to me for free. Now I have a small price to pay, I have to give up my 10g in order to get this tank but its so worth it. Now its not for certain,my friend is making sure tomorrow that there is no leaks or cracks in it, but when I find out I will update. Anyway I was thinking of adding some Angels or some other Cichlid into the mix. Im not sure. I am adding more Neons(Like 7 more) for a larger school and some more Platies and some Corys. Definitely Planted :biggrin: ! But this would happen only when I get it!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Do you always post a duplicate of what you post here on myfishtank.net? lol...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Well, good luck, I hope you get the new tank....Then you get to buy new lighting, filtration and heating all over again....Then you will want a 75 gal tank...and so on...I have a 55 now but want a 75 gal(just as soon as I talk the old lady into it!) Before I had the 55 I had a 29 gal....So you see what I am sayin....

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
lol.

Can you afford all this, James? A 48" fixture will be at least $100. A canister filter will cost you close to another $100. Substrate? $20 for 50# of SMS.

...and those are conservative estimates for some lighting for a 55 gallon tank. Teks will run you $250, and a decent sized canister will cost ~$125. Plus an in-line reactor, CO2 tank, regulator, solenoid...$150 for the entire setup.

$100 lighting + $100 filter + $20 substrate + $150 CO2 = $370 for a serious planted tank.

·
Registered
390 Posts
He could start off with shop lights, they are inexpensive, they are not the greatest but they do work if your on a budget. That's what I started with...Also he could use Schultz aquatic soil from wal-mart, It's pretty cheap...Better start lookin for a job James...lol

·
Registered
517 Posts
smells like bankruptcy :)

not tryin to be a downer, but it looked hard enough for you to keep a 10gal, a 55gal is a big jump in size and costs.

why can't you keep your 10gal? use it as a QT or just another tank. bound to get more tanks sooner or later.

·
Registered
711 Posts
First of all don't count your chickens before they hatch.you don't know if your friend is going to give it to you for sure yet, he may just change his mind.what if you change your mind?wait until the tank is in your home then decide what to do.
If you do get it it's going to be great for you since all the do's and don't you learnt from your 10 g.is going to help.a bigger tank is much easier to run ,it's more forgiving of your mistakes.shop lights is a very good start.save up some money for a HOB filter or even a canister filter,heater.
I would plant it with a lot of fast growing plants in one shot.plant heavily when you start ,you won't have too much problems with algae.
Remember,this hobby is a slippery slope and it looks like you are on your way:icon_bigg .
Good luck.
Ken.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I have 3 angels and a tank of neons, they ignore each other. Take your time selecting you angels, its possible to cull the less agressive ones from the herd.
my angels ate all my cardinals in one night. and the cardinals were there since the angels were babies. needless to say..i didnt have angels too long after that

·
Registered
558 Posts
James, you get the tank and I will send you two extra ballast for the cost of shipping. You can 2x OD 4 lights with them. Depending on which soilmaster you get, it can cost under $13 for 50lbs. Save up your money for a canister filter and heater, XP-3's are pretty cheap and work.

·
Registered
247 Posts
lol.

Can you afford all this, James? A 48" fixture will be at least $100. A canister filter will cost you close to another $100. Substrate? $20 for 50# of SMS.

...and those are conservative estimates for some lighting for a 55 gallon tank. Teks will run you $250, and a decent sized canister will cost ~$125. Plus an in-line reactor, CO2 tank, regulator, solenoid...$150 for the entire setup.

$100 lighting + $100 filter + $20 substrate + $150 CO2 = $370 for a serious planted tank.
i agree. you had such a hard time geting what you needed for your 10 gallon. with the bigger tank size comes a larger cost of everything. and the onlything is this time you cant effectively use a diy co2 setup on a 55 gallon (iv tried its never enough co2).

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
C'mon guys, he got a free tank! I think its great, and he can work up to the plant related issues. A canister filter can wait, a AQ would do fine for now.

I think its great, he should be excited!

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am taking in what everyone is saying and understanding what they are saying. I have had a a hard time accumilating what I needed for the 10g but my plan is this if I get the tank:

1)Clean The Tank
2)Double Test For Leaks
3)Add Old Gravel(previous Gravel From 10g)
4)Save Up For Lights
5)Save Up For Filtration
6)Save For A Python(hehe)
7)Add Everything From The 10 To The New Tank!

I may be getting a job this week hopefully at a fish store so I can get discounts probably but if not I will have money to get what I need. Im not going to start it up immediately since it comes with the filter, stand, pump, and stand so I need to get some other stuff for it! I am aware of the expense and Im going to take it slower to accomadate my budget. I have planned this out with my friend last night!

Oh and I might keep the 10 away until I need for Quarantine. My mom shouldnt care too much!

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lol.

I think petsmart has a 48" fixture so thats not so bad because they cost like 39.99 or something like that. Let me see how the filter on the tank runs and also what it comes with.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I think petsmart has a 48" fixture so thats not so bad because they cost like 39.99 or something like that. Let me see how the filter on the tank runs and also what it comes with.
Unfortuately, those fixtures likely won't be enough light to grow anything besides Anubias, java fern and java moss. That might be a good thing though, as you can keep it low tech.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.