The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just set up my first tank and came back from vacation and noticed some problems. First, the substrate has turned from white to brown/rust colored in some places. Second, my radican sword has a large brown spot on it along with smaller brown dots and even green algae. Any ideas what is going on here and how I can fix it? I did have the lights on for 12 hours a day, I cut this down to 8 as soon as I noticed these things.

Other background info on the tank: 60 gallon, LED+ Pro light, using excel, pH 7.2, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 20. Tank has been up and running for about two months.

I am new to this so any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
802 Posts
Looks like algae, and you did the right thing by cutting the hours of light. I'd do a water change, too.

Depending on how much light that room gets and what plants you keep, you could get away with even less than eight hours of light.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
The brown is probably just diatoms . Common in new tanks and will go away with a little patience and time .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.