The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very excited about my new 125 gallon tank, just installed in my living room. I plant on making it the showcase of my home. The tank sits in the middle of custom made bookshelves. Te base cabinet itself is nice and big. I even had the carpenter go under the house and put in extra supports to hold the weight of all the water, fish and books.
Anyway, I also have a 29 gallon planted tank and a 75 gallon (with just a few plants, but getting ready to transition!!!:icon_lol:

I am struggling a little with HOW TO AVOID some of my problems with my other tanks. Some problems are algae related and some are picking the right plants for a low tech system. Iknow these are interrelated, thus the conundrum: I think putting in a lot of fast growing plants will help control the algae issue, but is there such a thing in a tank without CO2???!!!

I have enough room below and behind the tank to add CO2 at some point but am not ready to do that quite yet, for a number of reasons ($$$!)
this is the setup so far:
tank is 125 gallon 72" x 18W x 22H

filter is wet-dry (proclear 200 with prefilter)

substrate: 10 bags of fluorite black!!!!...what a mess

lights: two nova extreme fixtures, each with two T5HO 39 W bulbs (right now they have the stock bulbs which include an actinic and a "I am not sure what the other bulb is":icon_wink
but the LFS will trade them for whatever I want for free since I spend too much money there and they sold me the lights.
I have three GREAT looking driftwoods that have been soaking for weeks and weeks and GREAT looking rocks

these are the plants I intend to use:
java fern, java moss, anubias (variety pack!), bolbotis, val spiral
I know this is a sort of a "no brainer" list, but I am STILL a beginner and I do not want to bite off more than I am able to handle with success.
It will be a while before many of the fish (I am doing fishless cycling, ala Diana of the loachesonline website....GREAT site, for anyone who has not visited it)
Eventual fish list: 6- 8 roseline barbs, large school of emerald cory, 2 birstle nose pleco, herd of oto, a pair of dwarf cichlids

okay, have at it!!!!!
what do you think?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Of course you can have a tank without CO2. I have 2 little ones that run on nothing but love.

Your lights are crucial. I don't know how your lights will affect your 125 but it sounds right. You won't know until you set it up. if you see algae then it's too strong and if the plants don't grow at all,then it's too little.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Much of that tank will have high light, where CO2 is needed. You can "fix" that by raising the lights about a foot above the top of the tank. Another advantage of doing that is that it will also give much more uniform light intensity in the tank both front to back and top to bottom. That will make it much more likely that algae can be avoided. I suggest not using the actinic light bulbs, just because they make the tank look terrible. Using something between 5000K and 10,000K color temperature would be much better. This is just a matter of personal taste though.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I agree with Hoppy about the color of the lights, but I also think your lighting is not any where near bright enough. You barely have over 1 watt per gallon of water. Thats not bright enough for most stem plants. Most likely the stems will not take root and just rot from the bottom up. A 125 is 22 inches tall. Thats fairly tall for light to penetrate all the way down to the substrate. I have just over 3 watts per gallon on my 100 gallon tank and with C02 I would describe the growth rate to be only moderate. At one time I had it at 4 watts per gallon and the growth rate was high, but hard to keep balanced. You have a little over 1 watt per gallon. BIG difference.

T5s are brighter than normal flourescents, but not that much brighter. Four 39 watt bulbs is pretty flimsey. If you want fast growing plants, (stem plants) to outcompete algae, you need fairly intensive light. People will debate what constitutes bright or intensive light, but I think most people will agree that 1 watt per gallon is definetly NOT it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
photobucket to forum page?

I have photos (okay, I am learning how to use this camera, so forgive the lousy shots, flash, etc)
I have them on a photobucket account. Any hints on how to get them onto the forum reply page?
thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay, I made an album here on the planted tank. I am still learning and have not figured out how to make it show up in my reply. Anyway, if you are interested and have some skill on "webstuff", I am sure you can look at my album!
Sorry for being a techno-retard, but it all comes with time!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.