The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Fluval Spec V for my birthday yesterday, and added Flourite Black sand, a Fluval CO2 canister (max. 15g), stone, submersible heater, and pulling plants from my current IQ3 (riccia, micro sword, Anacharis, and moss ball)

I'm going to aquascape it tomorrow at the office! So excited!

Creating this to track it's progress, and tips, tricks, and suggestions are very welcome!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was worried about that when I first set mine up, but everyone loves coming to check it out, and even offer to feed my Betta when I work from home. Try something small, and see what happens. You might be surprised!

This is my Betta, he's a Mustard Gas Crowntail. I have no doubt he's going to love the five gallons over the 1.5 he has right now!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the tank in today, and spent a couple hours setting it up. It needs to warm up now, but that's about it.

Unboxed!

Added in the API First Layer

Scaping done. I also added in some plastic barriers to help keep the sand in place. Not as easy as I would have hoped...

Filling it up with water

I added a couple 10" LED strips to it, and it adds a bit more blue than I would like, so I'll have to look into different strips.

And finally, the LED light that comes with it. The camera grabbed far more blue than you actually see. That's kinda odd...

What's next?

I'm letting it settle and then I need to add more sand to a few areas that settled enough to show the plastic, and we shall see how the riccia does. I may swap it out for something else.once this is warmed up, and growing, I'll be able to give my Betta a new home, and then eventually get some shrimp in there as well!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Marsilea Minuta is a low-light versatile slow growing carpeter. I use it in my Mini-M; you can see how it looks in my link below. It would be good for your tank, especially if you decide to stay with the crappy stock light.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I recommend Hydrocotyle sp Japan. After daily misting in dry start, it transitions very well to submersed growth. (Basically, it doesn't melt when you add water)

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have been contemplating this tank for a while, it does look quite nice!! Can you show us a picture of the light that you're using, you said you added some extra strips?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.