The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so i just set up my new tank. A 40breeder...
here is the problem. i took the filters from my old 29 (2 x 2213's). Should i get rid of the 2 2213's and upgrade to something bigger or just stick with what i have and supplement the flow with a powerhead? ti looks like I'm not getting enough flow with the setup i have now.
here is the second part of the issue...
the heater i have in there now is not big enough. it wont bring the water temp above 75. i want to upgrade to an inline, but is 200w going to be enough for a 40b? 200w is the only one i can find that will fit inline with a 2213. :confused:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Filters are fine. I would guess you had enough flow, but that may be debatable. Most things say 2-3 watts per gallon for heaters, but that rating depends on how close the temp of the room is to the temp you want the water to be.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Had enough flow from 2-2213s, even on the 40. Each filter would turnover the water in a 40 2.5 times a hour. 5 times water turnover is more than adequate for any tank. Easy to attain that with smaller tanks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a hydor 200w inline hearter on my 40g and it has worked well. House temperature in the colder days here in Florida is about 65deg F and the tank has stayed solid at 78deg F.

As for the filter I use a Eheim Ecco pro 2036 and hydor Koralia Nano powerhead and am powered with the combo.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks peoples... i guess im good with the filters then and i'm going to go ahead and order my inline heater. i wish i knew what the hell happened to my old heater... its less then 12 months old, and worked perfect on the old tank.i can actually touch the bottom part where the heating element is and it only gets warm, not hot. I do live in a colder climate (Philadelphia) but my heat has been on 70, so that is not the issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts