The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Don't you hate it when you get the wrong stuff and advice form shops that should know better.
If using the Tetra line, you should have been given Aquasafe for the day you set up the tank, and Safestart for the day after (even better a day and a half ).

The following days you keep an eye on nitrites and especially ammonia, if over 0.5ppm add 5ml Aquasafe per gallon, if more than 3ppm, double that.

That being said, in your position I wouldn't upset the biological system any more, and just keep nitrites and ammonia low with water changes for the next 2 weeks or so. A good change every 2 days or so should keep you within parameters.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
It doesn't say so on the bottle, but the instructions I gave you are from my own records and taken off their product data and instruction sheets.

Normally I would go I would go with a large water change, but don't think the shrimps will like it much. You could also think about using something like Prime, it actually states how many ppm of ammonia etc. it will bind. If you have a dangerous spike you could break out the ammolock, but I wouldn't leave it in long term in a planted tank and might be counter productive in getting your bacteria count up.

Do NOT use aquasafe and quickstart on the same day, regardless of how you decide to proceed. There are many roads, but time is the main thing that is needed for tank to establish itself, all we need to do is make sure we don't expose our pets to the rough bits in the road too much (or at all if possible), and to be consistent.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
5ml per 5 gallon, so 2 teaspoons...

I would gave the safestart a day or so before adding anything else to it

I see aquasafe locks chloramine, so I recon it will lock ammonia too.

Neutralises harmful substances for nature-like aquarium water
Substances in the tap water which are harmful to fish are immediately neutralized: Chlorine and Chloramine are eliminated and heavy metals like copper, zinc and lead are bound completely by a complexing agent
Promotes clear and healthy water
Contains bio colloids for beneficial bacteria growth which supports the creation of clear water

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.