The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I accidentally seemed to have overstocked my 10g planted (was told it would be fine, its clearly not)...and need to get these guys into a a bigger tank asap. I am thinking a 29 gal. What can I do, if anything, to get this tank cycled as fast as possible to re-house the fish?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Not saying its right but it worked with a couple of upgrades I have made and 1 was a shrimp tank. Add some extra substrate to the new tank and then use everything from the old tank, water and all then top off with fresh water. For me it was not much different than doing a 50% WC since I went from 10g to 20's.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
You can buy the actual species of nitrifying bacteria that your tank needs.
Read the label and get Nitrospiros species of bacteria. Do not waste your money on anything else. If it is not labeled Nitrospiros it has the wrong species of bacteria.
The right species can be found in:
Dr. Tim's One and Only
Tetra Safe Start
Microbe Lift's Nite Out II
... and perhaps other products- read the label.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You can seed a new filter with filter media from old tank or you can use gravel etc... From old tank in new one. The bacteria lives in and on surfaces and media. Very little in water. In the past in a pinch I have taken the media out of one filter and put in new one to seed and relied bacteria in my gravel and plants to seed new media in old filter

Hope this helped

1 - 4 of 4 Posts