The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.. my 75 is crashing now..

I fixed the water temp issue by raising the lighting 4" over the surface of the water, and adding a fan to give a nice breeze over it. The water temp stays constant at 73-75ish..

Now unfortunately, since about Thursday the tank's started crashing. I'm getting brown algae over everything, and its coating the plants, and the plants are dying off because of the algae. I had some tremendous growth last week,and about Thursday it all came to a halt.

What did I screw up? I've never had a severe algae bloom before

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
Most new setups go through algae blooms. Nothing too exciting, just wait it out. The more light you have, the worse it gets. I start my tanks with relatively low light to keep things under control.

If the photo in your blog is what your tank looks like, then it is lacking some serious plant mass. The more plants, the quicker things balance out.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
So.. my 75 is crashing now.. I had some tremendous growth last week,and about Thursday it all came to a halt.
What did I screw up? I've never had a severe algae bloom before
maybe a fish died and it's carcass is somewhere hidden but meanwhile it's fouling the water.

maybe your filter|tubing water flow is obstructed by too much debris and needs to be rinsed out.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
So.. my 75 is crashing now..
Sorry but did I miss something? Are you dosing? Adding CO2? What kind of Substrate?

Bottom line is when plants stop growing something is lacking. Your mission is to figure out what.

Algae can grow just about anywhere. You need your plants to grow. The more HEALTHY plant growth that you have - generally - the less algae you will have.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry but did I miss something? Are you dosing? Adding CO2? What kind of Substrate?

Bottom line is when plants stop growing something is lacking. Your mission is to figure out what.

Algae can grow just about anywhere. You need your plants to grow. The more HEALTHY plant growth that you have - generally - the less algae you will have.
I'm dosing plantex+b, kno3, and flourish trace.

Pressurized CO2, with a rex grig reactor, shultz aquatic soil for substrate.

The tank is only 2 weeks old. My well established 29 has no issues with algae at all.

I'm going to cut the lighting in half for a week or two. right now i have 4x65w CF's over it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You don't have very much plant mass in there. I would get some more fast growing stems and cut the lights down to 2x65 and only 6 hours or so to let the plants get established.

You list dosing plantex+b and flourish trace, not sure why you would do both?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You don't have very much plant mass in there. I would get some more fast growing stems and cut the lights down to 2x65 and only 6 hours or so to let the plants get established.

You list dosing plantex+b and flourish trace, not sure why you would do both?
Plantex+B is macro's no? trace is trace elements, no? I was always under the impression that they are differnt things. Standard flourish is differnt, i know.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Ditto what Mr B said. Make sure your getting enough potassium, nitrates and phosphates. Add a BIG bunch of Hygro. I do on all my new tanks. It really helps to keep nutrients in check until things settle down. The more the better. IMO.

Make sure you're getting enough CO2. That's always the first place I look.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Make sure you're getting enough CO2. That's always the first place I look.
I need to go buy some new test kits, i don't really think mine are reliable anymore. They may be, but i'm not confident they are. I know the CO2 is giving 50-60 bubbles per minute out of the bubble counter. Its going into a reactor that Rex made, and nothing is escaping as far as I can see.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Macros are nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium.

Most commonly dosed as nitrates, phosphates and potassium.
I see, so when i dose Potassium nitrate,and feed my fish flake food... I should take care of all 3 of those bases? no?

Also, I'm going to order some new test kits from big al's tonight.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wow.. I did some water tests on nitrate levels, and nitrates were well over 100ppm.. just did a 50% water change, and at 75gal.. that was not fun. I need to figure out a way to make water changes much easier.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I prefer to use bulk dry nutrients for fertilizing the plants. Fish good is first turned into ammonia.

Many fish foods are low in phosphates for a reason.

There are no decent consumer level test kits for potassium.

If you are not adding potassium you don't have enough.

Get or build a Python. Just search here and you will find threads about how to build one.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
As mentioned before in your photo thread, you need a LOT more plants in there. A bit of hairgrass doesn't count for near enough. And every new tank has a diatom bloom (brown algae), which if bad, can seem pretty overwhelming. I know it recently put a big dent in a restart of mine, until it stabalized. So if you can, forget the scape for a little while and load it full of fast stems and start dosing macros, but not full EI yet. Go kind of easy on macro/trace ferts at first, because too much is about as bad as too little. Good luck

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.