The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started a new tank about three days ago and the moss is not doing too well on the Driftwood. Not sure if it’s too close to the lighting, if this is normal for moss in a new tank, or something else?

I’ve been doing two large water changes per day roughly 50% or more per change. This is to remove the ammonia build up from the ADA soil ver 2.

i’m running eight hours of light using the Serene Sun PRO LED lights.
Pressurized CO2.
Tank is Current USA Serene 65 gal with stand.

·
Super Moderator
16,998 Posts
Likely a combination of issues: strong lighting, ammonia/ammonium load, likely high nitrates and nitrite. Not a flow issue because you appear to have ins and outs on either side of the tank.

While strong lighting won't necessarily nuke moss like that, it's the other factors that add to the problem. I've almost always had those issues in new tanks with active substrates.

If it were me, I'd wait until the tank is closer to being ready for inhabitants before adding moss. Or at least until the ammonia/ammonium is being processed more quickly.

Did the moss look like that when you got it? Generally doesn't turn brown that quickly, so it's possible it just wasn't healthy when you got it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for responding!

the moss came from Buce, and was not tissue culture so I gave it a peroxide and salt bath to try and rid of any snails or disease. It was my only non tissue plant. However I felt that they arrived in decent shape. They came on a SS mesh pad. The extra moss that I had left over was tossed into another tank with no problems so far. I wonder if they will come back or should I toss them?

I do have 2 OASE thermo bio filters, with one hooked up to a NilocG advanced Co2 reactor with bypass. I feel the flow isn’t strong enough.. I hardly see any plants moving. The turn over rate should be close to 9x with these filters on a 65 gal tank.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Bba, most likely. I have a piece of bogwood that's decomposing that's covered in it. When it gets too bad I spot treat. I usually just manually remove a bunch when I do my weekly water change. Could that piece of wood be decaying?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bba, most likely. I have a piece of bogwood that's decomposing that's covered in it. When it gets too bad I spot treat. I usually just manually remove a bunch when I do my weekly water change. Could that piece of wood be decaying?
Not sure.. it’s only been in water for a little over a week. I’ll rid of it during next water change.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.