The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I recently set up a low tech aquarium with anubias, one java fern and crypts. I just added the crypts 4 days ago and some of them are already starting to melt. Does this happen this quickly?

My main question (and I wasn't sure if I should have placed this in the Algae forum but not sure if it's algae). My Java Fern which has been in the tank about a month SUDDENLY has brown thread like strings growing from the established leaves!!! WHAT IS IT?? It freaked me out today! :) None of them were there yesterday and now have 2 strings coming from one leaf and one coming from another. I've attached a photo (not very clear). Please help!

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Yes, Crypt melt is entirely normal. Just leave them alone and they should grow back.

And those look like roots from the photo; your Java fern may be throwing off some new plantlets soon! Congrats, you're a Grandma! :hihi:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:) Whew!!!!!!!! I was just reading on the reproduction of Java Ferns a minute ago and was hoping that's what it was. Thanks!

Thanks for your reply and the congrats! :)

Do you mind if I ask you another question (since I noticed your picture is a cardinal tetra, I believe). I added Cardinal Tetras two weeks ago and those little buggers keep hiding in the corner behind my Balansae. I added Harlequin Rasboras so there are other fish in the tank and those guys are doing great (swimming like mad! :) My pH is around 7.8 which I know may be too high for them...unless they are bottom dwellers (which I didn't think they were). I purchased them from a place where the pH was 7.6 so I thought they would be ok.

Thanks again for the quick response!

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
No problem.

How many Cardinals did you get? IME the more there are, the braver they are.

They're also very prone to fungus and ich, so keep a close eye out for those. Being extremely shy can be a sign of sick fish... but at this point your fish are proably just still acclimating to their new home.

My water is liquid rock and I've never had issues keeping Cardinals, as long as I drip acclimate them.

What temperature is your tank? They do prefer warm water... I keep my tanks in the low 80s.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have 6 Cardinals and 6 Rasboras. I am going to add some Otos and two Blue Rams next weekend. I would add mroe Cardinals but not sure if that would be too many for a 29g. I have the temp at 80 degrees.

I've been getting my water tested at the LFS so the parameters should be in line with the exception of the pH. I just ordered a test kit so I can keep a closer eye on those since it's a newer tank. I've considered adding peat but I've been reading that it's almost better not to mess with the pH.

I feel bad :icon_frow for the little guys so I hope they will be ok.

Thanks again! I appreciate all of the feedback!

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
You know, I'd probably add a few more... bring it to about 10, total. I think you've got the room, especially since it's a planted tank, and they're light bioload fish.

They're probably just still getting acclimated.

I'd leave the pH alone, but I'd also bump the temperature up just a degree or two; the Rams will love that warm water, too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.