The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello fellow aquarium lovers,
So I started a planted tank which I have wanted to do for some time.
The tank is 65 gallons and I am running two archaea ultra-gro high output leds. The light cycle is on 7 hours with co2 running 3 bubbles a sec on same cycle as the light. Water parameter are gh 6, kh 3, ammonia .25 ppm, pirate at 10 ppm and ph between 6.8 and 7. The tank had no algae in it and then all of a sudden hair algae, brown looking algae, and some sort of white algae. The only nutrients I am giving the tank is Brighty K a potassium supplement. Plus all the substrate additives when I set the tank up. For the first 2 weeks I did 50 percent water changes every other day and week there I have done one 30 percent water change. In addition I added some baking soda to the tank to bring up kh and aqua vitro to bring up gh as my water is really soft. I tank is planted with 3 types of moss, anubius, two varieties of java fern, two verities of ludwig as well at some grasses and three other stem plants I can't remember the name of.(there is a picture of the tank on my page if you want to check it out.) As the tank has not cycled enough to add fish what can I do to combat the algae before it becomes a true menace? I was thinking about dropping the light cycle to 6 hours. Should I continue the every other day water changes? Any thoughts. Thank you in advance for your help.
Chris

·
Registered
68 Posts
A new tank often comes with challenges. I am not familiar with your light setup but it seems to me you do not have enough plant mass. The more the merrier. Three bubbles per second also seems low to me. Do you have a drop checker? Do you know the water parameters of your source water? Generally, when your CO2 is optimized, your pH will fall a full point (mine is 6.0).

I do not believe you have to reduce your photoperiod. You might consider dosing glutaraldehyde. I buy it buy it buy the gallon (2.6% strength) on the Internet. You can use a syringe (without needle) and spray it directly on the problem area or use it systemically. I use 25 ml each day in my 135-gallon heavily-planted tank. Some plants like swords are very tolerant of a direct shot of glutaraldehyde but it makes my Madagascar plant leaves very brittle. Glut can also be sprayed directly on wood, rocks and the glass of the aquarium.

Also, I don't understand the rationale of your fertilizer program. Many plants require nutrients above and beyond just potassium.

It takes time. Keep a log of your progress and you will eventually be "locked in".

Mike

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response. For the fertilizer i added a full work up of nutrients to the soil.(the entire ada line) Which according to them is good for the first month. Then they say to start dosing other liquid fertilizers.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I'd stagger the lighting. Have one on early, the other on late with both on only on for a short while then increase the overlap as plants grow in.

I did the suggested water changes and dimmed the lighting when I set up the tank with Amazonia and did not see any of the usual algae issues with my latest scape. The tank also cycled very quickly as the sump was mature. Perhaps you need to invest in some media from an established tank or some bottled bacteria. I always like having floating plants at the surface at first that are removed as the tank grows in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the response. I have staggered the lights so we will see if it helps as of now it appears to be a full bloom. luckily the plants came with snails and they are doing their part to fight the algae. The plants seem to be growing nicely albeit their dying leaves.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.