The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the sunsun 302 pro kit, can I put the trays back in wrong? I'm seeing sand come out the out take sometimes when a Cory is over by it. Wondering if the filter trays go in a certain way, I have the holes lined up all the way to the lid. Can I have them turned wrong? My water I still cloudy and I am not sure if it's from the two white rocks I added last week or from fresh planting. Either way its been cloudy for a few days now and I installed the new filter last night. It has been running for around 8 hours, the water is clear of the particles that were in last night but still cloudy. Any insight on this?

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry, don't have any experience with the sunsun but is the tank new or just a filter addition? With the rocks, did you drop vinegar on them to see if they are aquarium safe?

Obsession is a matter of opinion
I used vinegar on them, they did not fizzle but someone suggested that I rub them to see if any residue came off and sure enough pure white clouds came off and they went directly into the trash can

Bump: Also I started this tank 1/28/15 and I got it to cycle instantly, seeded media, gravel, 1 gallon of water from my old tank, and a whole bottle of bacteria. All in all it took a full week to get only nitrate readings, I planted more plants and last time I checked the nitrates were almost at 0. To many plants? Or is it ok with no nitrates?

· Registered
89 Posts
The canister lid won't lock into place if the trays are no all aligned properly. If the water is staying in the tank and off the floor I would say you have them in correctly. As long as all three trays and the black plastic screen that sits on top of the top tray are in the canister it should be good to go. If any of them are missing, the water flowing into the canister will not make it all the way to the bottom of the canister. It will bypass all the media and just flow straight to the impeller and back into the tank.

From the picture the big white rocks looks like limestone. I have never used it in an aquarium, but I have dealt with a lot of it over the years. It is like really hard chalk. It seems like no matter what you do to it, some will always rub off. I have also read it can raise the pH level. I would say getting rid of it was a good thing.

The pro kit for the filter should have included some extra filter pads. You could put one or all of them into the filter temporarily to clear up some cloudiness a bit quicker. Then remove it and clean it really good once the water clears up.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The canister lid won't lock into place if the trays are no all aligned properly. If the water is staying in the tank and off the floor I would say you have them in correctly. As long as all three trays and the black plastic screen that sits on top of the top tray are in the canister it should be good to go. If any of them are missing, the water flowing into the canister will not make it all the way to the bottom of the canister. It will bypass all the media and just flow straight to the impeller and back into the tank.

From the picture the big white rocks looks like limestone. I have never used it in an aquarium, but I have dealt with a lot of it over the years. It is like really hard chalk. It seems like no matter what you do to it, some will always rub off. I have also read it can raise the pH level. I would say getting rid of it was a good thing.

The pro kit for the filter should have included some extra filter pads. You could put one or all of them into the filter temporarily to clear up some cloudiness a bit quicker. Then remove it and clean it really good once the water clears up.
They did not make this for a as long but I am making it work. Have not done a DIY on this just went without spray bar and pieces of intake.

Gravity is holding filter guard onto the intake, I had a piece of filter floss on it with a rubber band but it reduced the flow so much the skimmer had to much air going in my filter stopped working until I re-primed the pump. That rock also put a bio film on here.

· Registered
191 Posts
Seems to me your intake looks partially buried in the sand. When the cory is over there it stirs up the sand and kicks it into the filter. Now most filter pads arent gonna cover the tray 100% so some grains may get through. My suggestion is shorten that intake tube so its off the sand bed. Use a hacksaw and electrical tape if you have to.

· Registered
89 Posts
This will be the first time I've posted a photo here so hopefully this will work.

I took one of the intake extension pieces and cut it really short. (assuming there is a photo) You should be able to see it's now only long enough for one of the suction clips to to fit. The substrate in that corner only comes up to the top of the frame on the bottom of the tank. Its hard to tell, but there is actually a small gap between the bottom of the intake screen and the substrate.

The picture really shows just how just how bad of a job I did getting the background image to stick to the glass on that part of the tank. All the stripes and pink spots are air pockets between the image and the glass. I can also see my bristlenose pleco is slacking off on the job. That thing absolutely loves the heater. It seems to be one it's favorite hang out spots, but it absolutely will not touch the end cap on it for some reason. Maybe it's mouth has gotten too big to get a good grip on it.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This will be the first time I've posted a photo here so hopefully this will work.

I took one of the intake extension pieces and cut it really short. (assuming there is a photo) You should be able to see it's now only long enough for one of the suction clips to to fit. The substrate in that corner only comes up to the top of the frame on the bottom of the tank. Its hard to tell, but there is actually a small gap between the bottom of the intake screen and the substrate.

The picture really shows just how just how bad of a job I did getting the background image to stick to the glass on that part of the tank. All the stripes and pink spots are air pockets between the image and the glass. I can also see my bristlenose pleco is slacking off on the job. That thing absolutely loves the heater. It seems to be one it's favorite hang out spots, but it absolutely will not touch the end cap on it for some reason. Maybe it's mouth has gotten too big to get a good grip on it.

Lol I didn't even try to get my background on there, I used a razor knife and trimmed a piece now it sits about an inch above the sand. I also took the end piece of the spray bar out and stuck it in the first piece so now it fits in the side of my twenty long.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.