The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to start a new thread to get thoughts/opinions on stocking my 36 gallon corner tank
As advised by other members, I decided not to get angelfish for this tank, so I'm considering this instead:

- 14-16 Harlequin Rasboras
- 8 Panda Cories
- 5 Honey Gourami
- 6 Diamond Tetra
- Pair or Trio Dwarf Cichlid (Cockatoo Apisto, Bolivian Ram, Kribensis, Dwarf Flag)
- One Pleco

This is a heavily planted tank with a ph around 7.2-7.4 (with DIY CO2) and temp 75-77 degrees F. I'm having a hard time with low nitrates, and would like a fully stocked tank...My main concern are the cichlids, I want to keep a peaceful community, and was wondering which species would do best with this setup. I'm not necessarily interested in breeding cichlids, but thought they would maintain better coloration with both a male and female present? Also, with the pleco, are there other species besides the Bristlenose that stays small and would not eat plants that I could consider?
I'm looking at ordering fish online, and I have a narrow window of opportunity to do so, living here in Alaska...thus, my eagerness:)
Really appreciate all the feedback and glad to have a place to ask questions! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
196 Posts
That stocking list seems a little heavy for that size tank, even if it is heavily planted... I would be concerned with space for the fish to swim around and the overall amount of water changes you'll have to do to maintain that amount of fish in your tank.

But as far as a pleco, I have a rubber lip pleco in mine. Supposedly max size is 4-5". He doesn't eat my plants, only algae. Had him 3 months now. Maybe that could be an option for you?

I can't say I know anything about cichlids. But someone more experienced is bound to answer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like AqAdvisor, (others may not agree) and have used it in the past. Lately though, there are nasty popups every time I try to use it. This isn't a standard size tank, but has a decent footprint (34" at longest point, 24" at deepest, and 19" tall), and I've been treating it as a 30 gallon breeder to get an idea of stocking. I was hoping to make a decision on cichlids based on others' experiences with them, but I would be willing to look into an alternative...I'm just scratching my head as to what. I'm not trying to overstock this tank by any means, I could reduce school sizes and/or omit the pleco...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I currently have otos in another tank, and they are great for algae, but I wasn't thinking of a pleco for algae control. Currently, the honey gouramis are the largest fish in the tank at 2", and I wanted to add something larger in the 4-5" range. I've never had a pleco, and thought it would be unique and/or different...same thing with the cichlids.

·
Registered
196 Posts
That is true. The plecos are fun I love mine. He's full of energy and does keep my tank fairly clean. But once you add in the larger fish it cuts down the amount of smaller fish you can have in there, which is why I was concerned with your stocking list being a little... Overstocked. A 36 gal with six 2" fish and a 5" pleco takes up the majority of the room you should have available to them.

That being said, I have a moderate/slightly heavy planted tank, 15G, with 12 fish, including one already 2" gourami and my currently 1" soon to be 4-5" rubber lip pleco. I monitor my water parameters closely and usually end up doing water changes 2x a week, anywhere from 25-40% each time. That's the price I'm paying for taking in the stray fish from my boyfriends tank... Lol.

Just food for thought is all :) in the end your tank is your own and whatever you decide to do will probably turn out great given the correct care is taken. It's just unfortunate that 36G isn't quite big enough for all your ideas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts