The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have kept blue velvet and sky blue shrimp (both neo caridina) with blue bee shrimp (para caridina). I was under the impression that they would not cross breed but I found 3 young shrimp in the tank last night that are clear with red splotches resembling rili shrimp except the splotches are on the rump and tail area rather than the mid section. Is this more likely to be a cross breed between the two varieties of neos (which I believe to be the same except some are more blue than the others) or a cross breed between neo and para?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
You can ask over on The Shrimp Spot forum, there are a lot of experts there that understand the genes better than I.
But I would say the rili is not a interbreeding between neo and para.

How long have you had the Neos (how many generations)? That may determine if you know what they have bred with before, which if you recently acquired them, it's possible they have some rili mixed in.

But it's not impossible to throw out rili patterns, it's less likely, but not impossible. Even Bloody Mary neos (other neo colors as well) that have been red and bred on their own can throw out a rili every so often (hence not breeding true).
It wouldn't necessarily have to be blue velvet and sky blue interbreeding, it could be BV-BV or SB-SB and still produce a rili. But if you know their "pedigree" you might can pin point which mating more likely caused the rili.

The low chance of throwing out a rili is more likely than neo and para interbreeding.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both the Blue Velvets and the Sky Blues were bought by me last year from two different vendors. Since these shrimp are about 2 months old this should be their first off spring in my tanks from them. I have no idea about their heritage. The blue bees I had for years and they have always bred true.
But where does the red color come from?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Both have red rili heritage, so you may be seeing a reversion to blue-body red-rili. They should develop to full blue as adults.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.