The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, newbie here :)
I’m so sorry as I know you’ll get a lot of these questions, I bought a few shrimp and one was with eggs. At least I’m hoping. I’ve read up online and believe I have a dwarf shrimp.
my question is, are those viable eggs? They look quite green to me. She’s constantly turning then and fanning them.
Any advice is much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
614 Posts
I'm no expert on shrimp, but this seems to be a female with eggs. I would assume they are good eggs, they usually are. Since they came from the fish store they may or may not be okay since this shrimp was probably in at least three different types of water including yours. But as long as it's healthy I would guess you're good. Also, the babies will grow up in your water and should be healthier yet!

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Yes, those are eggs. In approximately 2 weeks or so, they should be clear with dots. Hatch within a week-ish after that.

As long as your parameters are good, including GH, the shrimp should be fine. If GH is too low however, the offspring may not make it, adults could slowly die off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, those are eggs. In approximately 2 weeks or so, they should be clear with dots. Hatch within a week-ish after that.

As long as your parameters are good, including GH, the shrimp should be fine. If GH is too low however, the offspring may not make it, adults could slowly die off.
Thank you, really appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
52 Posts
In addition if you don't already have it, I would recommend having something like Bacter AE on hand for the new shrimp to eat. I've successfully raised them without it, but from my experience it helps with the survival rate. Also the biofilm is great for adults to graze on as well.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yup those will be more shrimp in a couple weeks. The eggs change color over time, totally normal. Bacter Ae or shrimp baby are powdered foods that can be helpful, but if you use them, you need only smidgen. Especially since this is a starter colony and you dont have many there yet. Get a dropper or syringe, mix a TINY pinch with a few mls of water in a cup, then squirt that in every few days. How tiny? Maybe the size of George Washington's eye on a quarter. Adult shrimp walk around and can eat fish pellet food, fish waste, biofilm, algae. Babies stay put when theyre born to avoid predation, so floating particles that come to them is better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.