The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that my 40b is back on the road to recovery after having moved a month ago, I've decided I would like to finally do one of the things I kept promising myself I would do at some point.

Set up a shrimp tank :D

As I am going through the process of brainstorming ideas of how I want to set it up, and what I shall put in it, a couple questions have burbled to my mind that I would like some input on.

I will not be using wood in the tank. Will this pose a real problem for the shrimp?

My water is almost RO level soft. I gather this is good for crystal red shrimp .. but I am not so entirely sure I want to invest so heavily in such. Are there shrimp species that don't cost as much per shrimp that like oh so soft water? I do plan on having a piece of holey rock in there, as an aside.

I am undecided if the tank will be long and shallow or narrow and tall. Deciding this is rather important for fish selection, but is it important for shrimp selection?

I am still undecided if I will put a heater in the tank or not. Our home stays around 70-75, but the tank will be going in the sunroom, which has less insulation.

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
dont bother with a heater unless your water temps get into the low 60s. my tanks range fro 68-72 I see that as the perfect range.

tall tanks are bad for shrimp, fish, etc. you always want as much surface area as you can.

How soft is soft? do you have an idea of what your water parameters would be?
I dont know about holey rock, you should check it to make sure its safe for shrimp.

not having wood isnt a big deal. I've seen many tanks with just a few pieces of moss and a mineral rock or 2.

does your brainstorming idea consider substrates?

You might want to start here and work your brainstorming around advice in this thread.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=176557

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am already decided on substrate. If I cannot find Fluourite black sand, I will use Caribsea Tahitian Moon. I don't plan on using root plants like swords or anything, but will use mosses and anubias, so not too fussed about what substrate it is, other than wanting dark sand ;)

My water runs around a ph of 6.3 - 6.4 and kH and gH of 0-1 each. It is Atlanta city water, and is stripped of nearly everything.

Thanks for the link :)

·
Registered
561 Posts
I love Flourite Black Sand! It was messy setting it up, but my plants love it. It gets super soft when first wet, and everything sinks in. Best to get it wet, plant and add root tabs (if you decide to go with more than moss and anubias), then cover with plastic or something and slowly fill just a little. Let it sit for a few days and it will harden up. Then add decor and the rest of your water. I have FBS in one tank, Fluval Plant Stratum (terrible stuff) in another, Eco Complete in a few, and plain sand in the rest. The FBS tank is by far my favorite.

I have wood in some of my tanks, just rocks in others. Shrimp don't seem to care. You can always re-mineralize your water too. There are a variety of ways to do that.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I am already decided on substrate. If I cannot find Fluourite black sand, I will use Caribsea Tahitian Moon. I don't plan on using root plants like swords or anything, but will use mosses and anubias, so not too fussed about what substrate it is, other than wanting dark sand ;)

My water runs around a ph of 6.3 - 6.4 and kH and gH of 0-1 each. It is Atlanta city water, and is stripped of nearly everything.

Thanks for the link :)
it depends which type of shrimp you plan to have.

RCS should be fine with sand. but CRS is better with ADA type of substrate.

·
Registered
148 Posts
People recommend ada substrate for buffering the pH at around 6.2 which is ideal for crs. Rcs are much more hardy so they don't give a shrimp about ph..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
Can you explain why?
ADA Amazonian soil is the premium substrate for planted tank.
it can soften the water and provide the nutrient that plant needs.

the CRS breeders in Asia find out that this substrate is also good for keeping CRS.
it can maintain the pH level low which CRS can thrive.

regular sand based substrate would push the pH level above 7 which CRS doesn't like.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Soooo ... if my water is already extremely soft and around 6.3 ph as I already stated, would I really need ada substrate? :confused:
It's not just water parameters.

CRS likes to search foods in the substrate.
Amazonia soil promotes micro-organisms in substrate that help shrimplet to survive. you would get better yield by using it.

this is proved way to get best result, but to keep CRS alive, there are thousands different ways.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmmm. I do not plan on breeding for selling or whatnot. Just a hobbyist that enjoys looking at attractive shrimp buzz around. Thus why I am not completely sold on CRS, but from my reading they are the ones that prefer soft water.

If there is a more robust shrimp that prefers soft water, I will probably aim for those instead.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You don't have to get ada. All you're getting is the buffering of low ph. Since your tap water is perfect, you can just use inert substrates. You'll still get nice bacteria in the substrate. If you want a high tech tank densely planted , you might want to consider ada or other nutrient added substrates

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
293 Posts
Bump up your GH to around 5 and keep your temps btween 68-72 and your shrimps should thrive. Your almost there already.
+1

You should be able to keep Neo's and/or CRS. Just test your tap before you do a water change. Contact Garfieldnfish, I think she keeps CRS, just not sure if she uses tap and/or a buffering substrate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.