The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an Eheim Aquastyle 9 tank set up and it's just completing it's fishless cycle after a month. It's got Aqua Soil as a substrate, along with a piece of driftwood and some plants.

Plans right now are for some neocardina and snails of some sort.

My water parameters before I change the water to lower the nitrates:

Ph 6.6
TDS 163
KH 1 drop on API test)
GH 7 drops)
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate ~80ppm

Should I be concerned that KH is that low? Do I need to do anything to buffer things? Out of the tap the KH is 5. So I assume the Aqua Soil/wood is changing things in the tank, or maybe even the plants?

TDS was closer to 120 when the tank was first filled.

I'm thinking about trying Fluval Shrimp Mineral Supplement, since it's pretty cheap. I have some old Kent RO Right from long ago that I could also experiment with. Or even baking soda?

Or is all this irrelevant?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That KH is perfect for shrimp. Everything else is great, as well.

A water change should drop the Nitrates. But be sure you're shaking those bottles really hard for a full minute before testing for Nitrate - API test kits are wonky sometimes.
Thanks. I was thinking I'd seen some places that there needed to be a little bit of KH to keep things stable PH wise.

Guess it's time to start shopping for shrimp and snails. Can't decide between Blue Velvet or Pumpkin shrimp.

I'll change 50% of water and then retest Nitrates. I think some of it may have come from some of my ludwigia. The ones in the back are blocked from light around the bottom, so the leaves are melting into mulm (tops are growing). Going to have to either slide the light back a bit on it's rods or move the stump forward a bit.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I'd choose pumpkin or rather orange fire shrimp (if you can find really bright ones) because they stand out in planted tanks, are very popular so you'll always be able to sell extras.

blue velvets are a clearish blue. i bet it would be hard to breed them into a more solid blue shrimp like blue tigers.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd choose pumpkin or rather orange fire shrimp (if you can find really bright ones) because they stand out in planted tanks, are very popular so you'll always be able to sell extras.

blue velvets are a clearish blue. i bet it would be hard to breed them into a more solid blue shrimp like blue tigers.
I know they probably won't be very dark. I asked my wife and daughter, and they seem to prefer the blue. They seem to be a slight bit less common (newer to the hobby?). I'm kind of even either way.

Watching this video, they do still look pretty cool.

But then again, so do these pumpkins.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Grats on getting one,nice to see someone else who's got the Eheim Aquastyle 9. Post some pics when you're done with all the setup! I would love to see what other talented people has done with theirs.

I have mine posted somewhere in the journal!

check out this site for shrimp parameters

http://www.shrimpkeeping.com/

Good luck!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also speedie has a bunch of velvets, I would look to remineralize with something like Bee shrimp GH +. Best bang for the buck 50$ and it is a life time supply
I'll look into it.

Grats on getting one,nice to see someone else who's got the Eheim Aquastyle 9. Post some pics when you're done with all the setup! I would love to see what other talented people has done with theirs.

I have mine posted somewhere in the journal!

check out this site for shrimp parameters

http://www.shrimpkeeping.com/
Thanks. I do like the tank. Smallest tank I've ever kept, though. Hard to keep that in mind when planning stuff.

actually blue velvets are pretty common by now. you can buy the from alphaprobreeders' website as blue jelly shrimp. they are the same shrimp. here is a small article:
http://shrimpsider.wordpress.com/category/shrimp/neocaridina-shrimp/

where to buy them:
http://www.alphaprobreeders.com/blue-jelly-shrimp-8/

remember those vids. select your substrate or shrimp based on each other. keep in mind that the blues look nicer on light substrate and orange look brighter on blacker substrates.
Good point about the substrate. I'm using Aquasoil in this tank, which is dark but not black. May have to see if I can find picks of the blue velvet/jelly's on Aquasoil.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
My vote is for the Blue Velvets. They look pretty cool in a tank and I don't thin they won't stand out that much. Aside from the newer tibees and Taiwan bees, these guys are the hottest shrimp on the market right now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts