The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a batch of crystal shrimp coming in next week, and the ph and hardness of my current tank is kinda high with normal tap water. Can i purchase Distilled water and slowly do water changes for the next couple days to lower my ph and hardness? or any other suggestions

thank you for the help

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I recently found by test that distilled water reduces TDS and other things you want while not having much effect on PH unless a lot is used. I only keep the easy care RCS
so I certainly don't have enough exp to help you more than that, but I do know that Peat is used by lots of people(in their filters) to lower PH.
Perhaps you might add an edit to your question letting people know you would like
a list of correct perameters for CRS to be includedin their reply if possible.
I'm sure some of the more hard core shrimpers know what that is.

·
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
2,606 Posts
Your Crystal shrimps won't be happy in those conditons.

Try to replace it with at least 50% pure RO water

You want to try and hit:

PH 6 - 6.5
GH 4 - 5
KH 0 - 1

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i did about 50% water change with pure RO water and my parameters came out to be

KH 4
GH 7
PH 7

i guess im going to do another water change tomorrow and try to bring them down some more without shocking my cherries.

thank you everyone for the help

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hi everyone, i did a second water change today with RO water again and my parameters are
ph 7
kh 3
gh 5

thanks everyone for the input. hopefully i didnt do too much that would jeopardize my tank

·
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
2,606 Posts
Cherry shrimps strive in almost all conditions.

I can toss my Painted Fire Red colony anywhere. Can go from TDS 150 to a TDS 350-400 by the bulk (30-50) adults at a time and they just go on fitting right in. For me its the Crystals that are more picky and difficult.

Doing two 50% WC without adding anything to it will reduce your TDS to low, but it shouldn't ever be like 0 ppm. Just not possible in any tank. Even if your tank is bare bottom, the lowest it'll be is about 50 ppm and that is doing 100% WC with no additives whatsoever. There are things in your tank that should keep your TDS constant at some value.

Back to the topic, Khanh your GH is great. Not sure why your KH is still 3. Do you have rocks or ornaments and your tank? From my experience unknown rocks or ornaments will raise GH and KH values. Your pH is better, but if you can manage to hit 6.5 you would be better off. Usually Borneowild Humic or active soil will help with this.

You can double-check by testing your PURE RO water what the PH is. It should be 7.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.