The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I did a best offer on ebay not thinking I would get it but I did so I have 10 cherry shrimp (possibly 8 cherry and 2 tiger) on the way but I lost my others due to adding something to the tank.I think it was copper on a plant but I cant be sure.Does copper affect all shrimps the same as I have 10 rainbow shrimp in there and they seem fine, roming about eating etc.If the rainbows are ok then would it still be copper in the tank?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Cherry shrimp are very hardy creatures. I think if any shrimp are doing well in that tank the Cherries would be fine.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
T,
If you suspect Copper, run activated carbon for a while to remove the element.
Yeh thats what I done after I lost my others, I ran the carbon for about 48 hours(its an 8gal tank).Will the carbon remove all the copper?

Thanks!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Best wishes and please tell us how it goes!
Will do mate!

My lfs today informed me they can get black and white shrimp that look like bumblebees, would these be "Bee" shrimp?

I got 4 emerald eye rasbora to go in the tank today but im not really happy with them as they seem really agressive and looking through sites it looks like they ge a bit too big so im gonna stick them in the girlfriends snail tank.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My shrimp have arrived, I didnt get any tigers but they have given me 2 extra cherrys so I cant complain.They are currently being acclimatised using the drip method.They dont seem to be in any discomfort and I dropped in a small food pellet which they are eating so thats got to be a good thing.Last night I altered my filter so it wont suck in baby shrimp.

I'm so excited!!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok im worried, they have been in the tank about 20 mins and seem really restless, swimming all over the tank.Thats not a good sign is it?Any advise?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ahhhh please help they are not looking good and ones gone belly up(berried female too :( )I have moved her to a dish with clean water not from the tank and shes sill moving slightly.

What could be the problem as the rainbow shrimp are all happy/healthy munching away while the new cherries wizz about the tank looking stressed.I did an emergancy waterchange (bout 40%) but they still dont look much better, should I move them??

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
post more info about your tank!

water conditions?
tap water?
water parameters?
temps?
substrate?
plants?
tankmates?
pictures?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ph:6.6
Ammo: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:usually about 20ppm but i'll check now.

Heres another thread with my tank.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/shrimp/41337-id-my-shrimps-please.html

I have moved some shrimp to a bare tank with some fresh water and some water out of another tank and they seem to be ok(not dashing about).The berried female seems to have died and another I fished out that was almost dead seems dead too.

Its the fact that all other fish/shrimp/snails are fine.Is there something that cherrys are particularly sensitive to?

·
Registered
890 Posts
How long did you do the drip method for? It sounds like they succumbed to a sharp drop in ph once you introduced them to the tank...

·
Registered
467 Posts
How long did you do the drip method for? It sounds like they succumbed to a sharp drop in ph once you introduced them to the tank...
I agree with Wood. It sounds as if they weren't acclimated properly.Can you tell us how long you acclimated them for?
John

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did the drip method for about 2 hours and tested the ph in both the tank and the bucket to make sure they were pretty much the same as each other.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The surviving shrimps that I can see seem to have settled down and seem to be acting normally.Is there any way I can save the eggs of the dead berried shrimp or am I too late?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks.

So do think it was a ph problem then?I'm thinking that they had been kept in completely different ph and even though I used the drip method I think the drip frequency was too much and thus shocked them.Do you think the others that are looking better may survive?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Yea they will probably survive. Hopefully you have another female thus you can breed some to replenish the dead ones. I wouldn't do any drastic water changes though. Let the tank be for now, don't change anything...

-Ryan

1 - 20 of 34 Posts