Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crude Protein Minimum 50.0%
Crude Fat Minimum 17.0%
Crude Fiber Maximum 3.0%
Phosphorous (P) Minimum 1.25%
Ash (Max) 12.00%
Added Mineral Ingredients (Max) 2.00%

I n g r e d i e n t s
.Fish Meal, Fish Oil, Blood Meal, Feather Meal, Wheat Flour, Brewers Dried Yeast, Poultry Fat, Soy Lecithin, Lignin Sulfonate (Binder), L-ascorbic Acid Phosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Inositol, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, sodium Selenite, Potassium Iodate, Propionic Acid (Preservative), Ethoxyquin (Preservative).
"New and improve" No just kidding, but it's new tome and I just ordered some @ $7 per half poundtotal cost.
Made by Purina for fish fry. I found that when I tried a fish food that was marked 49% protien I got more berried srimp/w that so I'm tryin this as it's made by Purina.
Anyone interested PM me for the link(e-bay).

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
Interested to see what others think of this topic.
I thought I've read somewhere about crude fat % for shrimp.
This just seems excessive to me.

·
The Security Dude
4,336 Posts
It is high, and it is better to have true components instead of stuff like this labled meal:
Fish Meal, Fish Oil, Blood Meal, Feather Meal

I would rather see kale protien extract or spinach protien extract, blood worm protien, squid protien. Meal is a way to hide what it actually is. That is one reason the fat content is high, and the other is the Poultry Fat

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a growth food for fish fry so it contains higher fat than normal as growth of other than fat cells requires excercise which the fat provides the energy for.
I think I will try this as their main diet for up to 90 days to see if any bad effects appear. If so I can just use it as a treat type food. When I tried another fish food that listed 49% protien, the breeding increased.
In addition, other foods labeled specifically "Shrimp food" cost an arm at least since
packages are ofter less than one oz each @ $5 per so this, at $7 per half pound is
very appealing if it's good without any bad side effects. Time will tell.

·
The Security Dude
4,336 Posts
If you want a high protien diet to increase breeding make sure you suppliment a bunch of calcium too. It will cause fast growth and extra molting. If you want something cheaper try frozen blood worms 1 to 2 times a week. Much better for them

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well in the FWIW category, in days gone by, one fine day my mother walked up and looked over my shoulder at my tank and then picked up a jar of fish food.
She then asked...you are eating a $3 per pound balony sandwich, but did you know you are feeding your fish what if you figure this price on this jar by the pound, cost $32 a pound ?
But really thank people for the replies as I know little about the shrimp's needs even
though I'm reading on it from time to time.
People have listed blanched spinach and other people foods on here before but me being single I have few veggies around as they tend to spoil on me before being consumed if I get the large amounts necessary in the fresh type.
But just after changing my water the other day I was opening a can of great value
cut green beans and just having changed the water made me think about the shrimp and the cut green beans. Cut about half an inch off one piece and it was not there the next day so that may add to what you might feed them if you didn't already know.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you want a high protien diet to increase breeding make sure you suppliment a bunch of calcium too. It will cause fast growth and extra molting. If you want something cheaper try frozen blood worms 1 to 2 times a week. Much better for them
I have and have tried frozen bloodworms but they ignored it.
I'll try again. What about freeze dried tubiflex worms as I already have a jar of those that I have nothing to feed it to.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just tried frozen blood worms for the first time today. They took to it pretty well in the 4 tanks I tried, but not as fast as when I put Omni Pro in the tank. I put the frozen cube in some water to thaw, then used a forceps to take a pinch out and put it on the bottom of the tank. Those that were in the immediate vicinity dashed in and grabbed a worm and ran off. I like that they can get their own piece of food and run off rather than the traditional rolling ball of shrimp swarming the food. I'll definitely add bloodworms to the food rotation now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts