The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I added 30 red wine shrimp to two 2.5 gallon tanks yesterday (roughly 15 in each). they were acclimated for an hour and a half in two separate plastic containers with water from each tank added every two minutes. When I got back from work today I noticed that in one a bunch were swimming about and looking they had settled in well. However in the second tank I noticed seven dead curled up on the bottom. I quickly ran water API liquid water tests on both tanks. Below are the results.

Tank One: (No deaths that I can see)
PH 7.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
KH 3
GH 6

Tank Two: (removed seven curled up bodies)
PH 7.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0.5
KH 3
GH 7

The tank where the shrimp have died has a much stronger flow of water, and also an air stone in the corner. The tank is planted with strong light and the substrate is black sand.

The tank where the shrimp have not died (as far as I can tell) also has lots of emergent plants (pothos, wandering jew) growing out of the tank, with miracle grow organic choice potting mix capped with black sand.

I know this may just remain a mystery, but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas what the cause might be?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated. This is my first attempt with shrimp, and I want to make sure this wasn't due to something I did wrong.

·
Banned
70 Posts
Any chance you've used a copper based chemical in one tank and not the other? CO2 in either of these tanks?

One thing that's gotten me before - you happen to have any pets in the house that were flea treated recently?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Spore,
Thank you for replying. I had thought of copper as a possible cause, but I cant think of where it would have come from. I bought a 3 pack of Glad lock plastic containers to acclimate them in for both tanks, so no copper source from there, I put them in the tanks using a plastic spoon. I also have not used any flea treatments either.

I found more dead today in the same tank today (the ones in the other tank are still fine), so something beyond normal shipping stress has happened. I tried to get the remaining ones out last night but couldn't find them. The dead ones I found today were on the gravel and probably had ended there due to the water flow.

Bump: Sorry I forgot to add no C02 either, the airstone does produce a lot of bubbles on top of the water though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for replying, I did test the water again and got the same readings, I know what you mean about the API tests something they can be very frustrating, especially in regard to ammonia.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Red wine shrimp as in Taiwan bee?

If they are Taiwan bee red wine shrimp then you prefer more acidic and softer water, somewhere in the range of 6.5ph, 5-6 gh and 0-1 kh.

2.5 gallon is a pretty small tank for 15 shrimp. What type of filtration you have in there?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Your pH is too high, your KH is too high, your GH is too high. You didn't specify temperature but I'd imagine it's likely too high as well. A 2.5 Gallon tank should be able to house a colony of at least 30 shrimps, given suitable filtration (HOB/canister with sponge intake), and likely much more than that if you are experienced. I'd also suggest grabbing a TDS meter, very helpful for the taiwan bees.

See my thread I posted last night on my Blue Pandas for what your water conditions should be for optimal coloration and breeding. :smile2:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/88-shrimp-other-invertebrates/1050793-blue-panda-shrimp.html

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have a tank where I was having issues with shrimp dying. The water parameters are looked great, until I tested the TDS.

Every other tank in the house was sitting around 200 TDS, the problematic tank was at 850. I have *no* idea how it got that high in just that tank, but it at least gave me something to start from and some variation between the tanks.

The GH/KH, ammonia, nitrates and nitrites were all identical between the tanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you

Thank you for the advice everyone, the shrimp are Red Wine Neocaridina. The ones in the other tank still seem fine. I will look into a TDS meter. The filtration on the tank where there are problems is a small JEBO501 filter.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Red Wine/Wine Red are Caridina cantonensis Taiwan Bees, not Neocaridina.
Make sure you have the correct ID on your shrimp so you can provide the correct water parameters. Neos and Caridina Bees have different water parameter needs.
Dwarf Shrimp Water Parameters ? DiscoBee

If yours really is a red Neocaridina, it could be a grade (Sakura, Fire, Painted) Red Cherry Shrimp (RCS, not CRS which are Crystal Red Shrimp Caridina), a form of Red Rili, Bloody Mary or a "dark cherry red" chocolate Neo.
If you post a picture, we can help identify it. Take a look at pictures online to see what yours resembles. Wine Reds can typically cost $8-17 per shrimp depending who you buy them from and what grade.

Assuming everything is fine with your tank/water quality and no shrimp diseases, then maybe you do have Wine Red Taiwan Bees (Caridina) and they are dying because the water parameters are unsuitable for them to live in.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Red Wine/Wine Red are Caridina cantonensis Taiwan Bees, not Neocaridina.
Make sure you have the correct ID on your shrimp so you can provide the correct water parameters. Neos and Caridina Bees have different water parameter needs.
Dwarf Shrimp Water Parameters ? DiscoBee

If yours really is a red Neocaridina, it could be a grade (Sakura, Fire, Painted) Red Cherry Shrimp (RCS, not CRS which are Crystal Red Shrimp Caridina), a form of Red Rili, Bloody Mary or a "dark cherry red" chocolate Neo.
If you post a picture, we can help identify it. Take a look at pictures online to see what yours resembles. Wine Reds can typically cost $8-17 per shrimp depending who you buy them from and what grade.

Assuming everything is fine with your tank/water quality and no shrimp diseases, then maybe you do have Wine Red Taiwan Bees (Caridina) and they are dying because the water parameters are unsuitable for them to live in.
A seller got bored and decided to make another fancy name.
There is a seller on eBay selling Red Wine Neocaridina.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
A seller got bored and decided to make another fancy name.
There is a seller on eBay selling Red Wine Neocaridina.
It's a shame when people throw a made up name (especially when there is already a completely different shrimp with that name) on a unstable/untrue line just to get more sales. Just causes more confusion and is harmful.

Took a look at the eBay listing (definitely Red Cherry Neos by the way), that fish logo...hope that's not Han :(
Don't think it is though, since he doesn't sell that shrimp on his site and it's a different location.

Mango, I didn't forget about you! Just bought a ton of plants (also from Han :)), but will send you a PM soon.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
They look red orange to me... and not entirely impressed. Guess I'd rather have red *OR* orange, not red orange shrimp...

How long have these tanks been up and running for?

Any hard scapes? Rocks or wood?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you again to everyone for continuing to provide suggestions I am very grateful. They came from Aquabid, but yes the seller also has them on [Ebay Link Removed] The listing said Red Neo's, I spent some time researching shrimp before I bought them and wanted to try my hand at an easier shrimp (well that was the plan anyway :) ).
The tanks have been up and running for six months, they are heavily planted as they were going to be just planted tanks, the second tank is a emersed houseplant paludarium experiment. Its the non paludarium one that has had all the shrimp die. I did this week add wandering jew and pothos so there roots are in the water. The problem tank also has cholla, some driftwood, and a couple of large stones. The wood was boiled before it went in, and the rocks were scrubbed with very hot water, (no bleach was used). The rocks also did not have any patches of iron on them. They are large beach stones.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It's a shame when people throw a made up name (especially when there is already a completely different shrimp with that name) on a unstable/untrue line just to get more sales. Just causes more confusion and is harmful.

Took a look at the eBay listing (definitely Red Cherry Neos by the way), that fish logo...hope that's not Han :(
Don't think it is though, since he doesn't sell that shrimp on his site and it's a different location.

Mango, I didn't forget about you! Just bought a ton of plants (also from Han :)), but will send you a PM soon.
I definitely wouldn't recommend to try and buy shrimp on ebay too many dishonest people trying to make some money, especially for something like live shrimp or plants where its very easy to "exaggerate" for some extra money without breaking the rules.

I would recommend if you are planning on buying fish or shrimp online for cheap to use aquabid.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.