The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only had one shrimp tank before, the 10 gallon planted tank (in my signature).

Anyhow, I got this new 10 gallon shrimp tank up and running. An additional 10 gallon is about to be set up as well, making 3 shrimp breeding tanks. The two new ones are basically shrimp breeder tanks only, no plants besides moss and ferns.

The setup is a 10 Gallon tank. 3M ColorQuartz Sand "Cayman" color T-grade. This sand is actually quartz, so it is totally inert and will not do anything to your water parameters. I picked that color because it is different from the black and white which is the norm. It will be interesting to see how the shrimp look in there. I plan on adding Snowball and another kind, not sure yet.

The Temperature is 79F, lighting is (2) 14watt 6500k CF spiral bulbs. Filtration is an AquaClear 50 with a foam pad, bag of purigen, and the old bag of matrix from the old 10 gallon. The used matrix bag should definitely help quickly cycle the tank. I just put a new matrix bag in the old 10 gallon. PH is right now at 7.6, but I plan to drop that using a tiny bit of peat.

Anyhow, lemme know what you think. And yes, there will be a sponge put over the intake of the filter. I just haven't put it yet because there are no shrimp and I wanted to get the filter on full flow to assist the cycling.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Actually, the filter flow rate doesn't affect the cycle time one way or another. Adding a sponge sooner will simply allow it to become part of the system, providing more surface area for the bacteria to grow on. The quickest way to cycle a new tank is by squeezing some filter media from an established tank into the new setup.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've been wanting to try some of that 3M quartz...a friend of mine uses it and likes it a lot. Was it dusty? Is it pretty light weight or more like moon sand?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, the filter flow rate doesn't affect the cycle time one way or another. Adding a sponge sooner will simply allow it to become part of the system, providing more surface area for the bacteria to grow on. The quickest way to cycle a new tank is by squeezing some filter media from an established tank into the new setup.
I agree. The sand caused a lot of dust so I decided to remove the sponge that was on the intake in order to allow the dust to clear faster.

I've been wanting to try some of that 3M quartz...a friend of mine uses it and likes it a lot. Was it dusty? Is it pretty light weight or more like moon sand?
I rinsed it off, didn't have much dust in it while rinsing. DEFINITELY nothing as bad as Flourite! The water did get cloudy for a day but it has gone away. It is not light weight. I have never used moon sand so I don't know. I think it is awesome sand, perfect weight. Not too heavy, not too light. I have used a lot of different substrates and this is a pretty good inert one.

-Ryan

·
Registered
644 Posts
Wow, that substrate is really different. I'm looking forward to seeing some critters in there. :)

Good luck wood! :proud:

·
Registered
845 Posts
I wanna see it scaped. :) I like the color, it's soothing and tropical. Sometimes you have to think outside the box. I hope this works for you! I look forward to seeing the updates. :)

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I wanna see it scaped. :) I like the color, it's soothing and tropical. Sometimes you have to think outside the box. I hope this works for you! I look forward to seeing the updates. :)
I agree, I'm loving the sand... Where'd you get it??

I was just thinking that a light blue sand would look good... ( Having a wierd scape idea, while i'm supposed to be "taking notes" :icon_lol: People where giving me odd looks in civics when i was drawing rocks and moss and stuff lol)

Can't wait for updates!

-Andrew

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thats pretty cool and I dont usually like colored sand/gravel.Cant wait to see it full of shrimps(possibly mine ;))

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. Yes I like to think outside the box, I dunno know. I have always been a rebel without a cause :)

Anyhow, I have added a very small amount of peat to see if it can lower the PH and make the water a little bit softer. The PH is around 7.4. I would like it to be around 7.1. The tap water is also extremely hard down here in miami, we live on limestone down here :)

I will definitely keep updates. Do not worry, there will be some nice shrimp in here pretty soon. I am leaning towards S-CRS and snowballs.

-Ryan

·
Registered
889 Posts
Thanks guys. Yes I like to think outside the box, I dunno know. I have always been a rebel without a cause :)

Anyhow, I have added a very small amount of peat to see if it can lower the PH and make the water a little bit softer. The PH is around 7.4. I would like it to be around 7.1. The tap water is also extremely hard down here in miami, we live on limestone down here :)

I will definitely keep updates. Do not worry, there will be some nice shrimp in here pretty soon. I am leaning towards S-CRS and snowballs.

-Ryan
Interesting, do you know the exact PH of the water straight from the tap?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
is the color a coating that can wear off?
No. This is quartz and the color is all the way through. They have even finer sand. Remember, this sand is meant for pools and is almost as hard as a diamond. This stuff does not wear down anyhow.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Just make sure the sand doesn't get near the hob intake, it will eat the impeller if it gets drawn into the filter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts