The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

I have been interested in Aqua scape tanks for around 25 years since I saw my first Aqua scape. It was truly beautiful to say the least. At the time I was breeding Cichlids in bare tanks so probably anything planted at that time looked good, but this one looked like a river bottom with what looked like a mud bottom channel going down the middle of the tank lengthwise. It looked so real, that I have never gotten that image out of my head to this day.

Anyhow, ... I have a new to me, used 100 gallon Acrylic tank (60"L X 18"D X 20"H) that I want to set up into a densely planted tank. For fish, maybe 20-40 or so neon tetras and that's about it.

I am looking at filters, lights, substrate and CO2 systems. I guess what do you ALL think I should get. It doesn't necessarily need to be the cheapest stuff on the market, but I don't want to throw money down the drain either.

Oh, I forgot to mention I also have a 30 gallon sump tank / wet and dry filter for it also if I want to use it, ... I'm just not sure.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the quick responses. :smile:

I was looking at a getting a Rena XP3 or XP4 for the filter. If not then I was going to use the Sump but from the reading I have been doing I get mixed feelings about the Sumps. Some were saying exactly what you have said about them and others say that the loss is marginal. I am leaning in favor of getting a Rena and saving the Sump for something else or just selling it off.

Bill

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Again guys for the responses!! :fish:

About the filter system,

For a heavily planted tank, how many times should the water be cycled per hour? I was always under the belief that a tank should cycle 3 times it's capacity. For instance, a 100 gallon should cycle 300 gallons per hour.

Is this correct?

Thanks
Bill

1 - 3 of 3 Posts