The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

I have been interested in Aqua scape tanks for around 25 years since I saw my first Aqua scape. It was truly beautiful to say the least. At the time I was breeding Cichlids in bare tanks so probably anything planted at that time looked good, but this one looked like a river bottom with what looked like a mud bottom channel going down the middle of the tank lengthwise. It looked so real, that I have never gotten that image out of my head to this day.

Anyhow, ... I have a new to me, used 100 gallon Acrylic tank (60"L X 18"D X 20"H) that I want to set up into a densely planted tank. For fish, maybe 20-40 or so neon tetras and that's about it.

I am looking at filters, lights, substrate and CO2 systems. I guess what do you ALL think I should get. It doesn't necessarily need to be the cheapest stuff on the market, but I don't want to throw money down the drain either.

Oh, I forgot to mention I also have a 30 gallon sump tank / wet and dry filter for it also if I want to use it, ... I'm just not sure.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I'm not too experienced in sumps and wet-dry's, but from what I could see of them, they'd off gas the Co2 which you'll want to keep in the water (the wet/dry anyways).

You'll want, in theory and in general, about 2.5watts/gallon. This is just a guidline though- some plants, depending on species will need higher light, or less light. Slow growing plants such as Anubias are prone to Black Brush algae if the lights are too high/left on too long, etc.

Also, I wouldn't get a filter that is rated for 100gls, but rather 150+. Its always better to over-filter your tanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the quick responses. :smile:

I was looking at a getting a Rena XP3 or XP4 for the filter. If not then I was going to use the Sump but from the reading I have been doing I get mixed feelings about the Sumps. Some were saying exactly what you have said about them and others say that the loss is marginal. I am leaning in favor of getting a Rena and saving the Sump for something else or just selling it off.

Bill

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
If you search this site, you'll see some posts from Tom Barr about sumps. He uses them quite successfully. The secret to using sumps and CO2 injection is sealing off the sumps and limiting the splash, then they are not much worse than another filtration system and probably better than HOB's.

For 100 gallon for a planted tank, I would suggest even an XP4 would be overwhelmed. I'm using an FX5 and an Eheim 2028 and recently added a Koralia 2 into my 125 gallon and am considering upgrading my Eheim (mind you I have SA cichilds in that tank) because I am not getting sufficient filtration and CO2 dispersion/water movement.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
You do need a good water circulation to disperse co2 and fret's all around the tank that large. I use a Eheim Pro II 2028 for filtering and a close loop Mag 5,AM 1000 CO2 Reactor, Hydro 300w Heater and it still was not enough for my 110g tank {60x18x24}
I am changing my set up with Nu-Clear 533,547 filters and I pick up a good use Blue Line 55 HD 1100gph Pump on ebay for $85. and I'm switching my co2 reactor to a Mazzie and will be using a 1inch intake.
http://www.aquarium-supply.biz/Suction_Screens_Inland_Seas_Clear_s/454.htm
with 2 returns 3/4inch Loc-Line y split
http://www.modularhose.com/Loc-Line-34-System

If you need any more info on setting up large's tanks check out:
http://www.barrreport.com/

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Again guys for the responses!! :fish:

About the filter system,

For a heavily planted tank, how many times should the water be cycled per hour? I was always under the belief that a tank should cycle 3 times it's capacity. For instance, a 100 gallon should cycle 300 gallons per hour.

Is this correct?

Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
IMO: I would go for 10x over. You lose Head Pressure when you add Elbows , Ball Valves, and total feet of PVC or Hoses ect: Even a filter rated for 275gph will lose some head pressure when you add media and when it gets dirty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts