The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new roseline shark, my friend from dallas drove it here to san antonio. it was bagged for approximately 8 hours. i drip acclimated it to my tank and it has now been 15 hours since i put it in.

the fish is now at a 45-60 degree angle doing headstands. at the store it was swimming around happily and eating happily. should i medicate this fish? i dont know what to do...

paramaters are 0/0/10 ph 7.1

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I just got a new roseline shark, my friend from dallas drove it here to san antonio. it was bagged for approximately 8 hours. i drip acclimated it to my tank and it has now been 15 hours since i put it in.

the fish is now at a 45-60 degree angle doing headstands. at the store it was swimming around happily and eating happily. should i medicate this fish? i dont know what to do...

paramaters are 0/0/10 ph 7.1
Three roselines I bought from Arizona Aquatic Gardens (online) a couple months ago had BAD fin rot on arrival. Some of the roselines that Alamo Aquatic Pets also have/had fin rot. I wonder if there is a general problem with the recent batch imported from ?Kerela ...

It might be worth quarantining and treating for fin rot ...

·
Registered
722 Posts
roseline shark...is it a barb?
barbs are kown to headstand when the nitrates are not to their liking ...
dont know if this is you prob or not ....but its worth lookin into

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, barb. so im assuming they like low nitrates; i will do a water change

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Hopefully it's just something simple like the previously mentioned nitrates.
Not to cause undue panic, but being bagged for 8 hours probably isn't the best thing for him either unless it was a BIG bag like used in mail order sales. It may be suffering from a slight ammonia burn or O2 deprivation.

Tommy

·
Plant Lover
279 Posts
It is also called a Denison Barb.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fish is dead. I will get full refund (in store credit). I am not giving up on these fish! Need to find more

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Fish is dead. I will get full refund (in store credit). I am not giving up on these fish! Need to find more
You could go check out the ones at Alamo Aquatic Pets. They have several. Just make sure you get a good one! They're $40 each!

Puntius denisonii, Roseline Shark, Redline Shark ... just some other names for the same fish ...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
uh yah i have seen theres lol. i think they ordered 25 and 6 or 7 survived. they will be sitting on those for awhile at $40...

when fintique had theres last summer they were $15.99.

·
Registered
234 Posts
there also called torpedo barbs ! warning : dont buy multiples as time goes on they will kill eachother off. we started with 12 at work and we have 1 :(. ive seen them no cheaper then 25.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
barbs ! warning : dont buy multiples as time goes on they will kill each other off.
something else must have been going wrong.
either with those tank conditions,
other community fish conflicts,
or they were not all males.

·
Registered
569 Posts
A few of mine showed signs of fin rot when I first got them but a salt bath cured that in a hurry. Mine seemed to be happier in a planted tank with somewhat soft water and temps at 80 degrees f. or a tad lower. They also liked pure spirulina flakes and bbs but they would eat just about anything I tossed in their tank.

I've kept them in groups and would say a 4-ft tank should be the absolute minimum size to keep these in due to their active swimming behavior. I've never seen any kind of aggression with this species even when they get over 5 inches so I wouldn't hesitate to get as many as you feel comfortable with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts