The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:

I just bought 2 diffusers a Rhinox 2000 and 5000. I have tried them both and no co2 will come out. I cant blow anything threw either.

What gives?

I tried soaking for an hour and still nothing.

Should I soak in bleach but still its new!

:icon_mad:

TIA

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It might be leaks. I put inline valves in. Three, one for each of the two yeast bottles and one going to the diffuser. I had an airstone working just fine until I did that then I got the rhinox. But I was just wondering why I couldnt even blow threw it myself by blowing on the tube.

Seem like it take a lot of pressure. Too much for DIY. I need to use my two 3L bottles.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah. I am using latex tubing. I just mixed up a 3L bottle,hooked it to my bubble counter bottle. After I get home from work it should be going. I have it hooked to the air stone. I will switch when I get home tonight.

btw I have my pressurized system on order.(yippee)

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Blowing through them means nothing. The check valves I have crack (open) at ½ psi. Most people can't crack them by blowing through them. If they inhale though them they can. The human lungs just can't generate a lot of positive pressure.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The valves I had inline where not check valves the were little pressure control valves. I wanted to close the system while I switched out bottles so I wouldn't lose all of the pressure.

I took all of those valves out this morning. All I have now is 1) 3L bottle going into a bubble 1L bottle then from that its going into an airstone. If its going when I get home I will try replacing the air stone with the diffuser.

I was blowing as hard as I could :icon_redf in that diffuser and nothing. Man it must take a lot of pressure! I cant see my 3L bottle producing more pressure that I can blow..? maybe over time with constant pressure it could.

At some point it wont matter cause I got a 5lbs co2 tank and a jbj regulator coming. Got both for about $140 total.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK.. I went to the local hobby store and they didnt have bulkhead fittings. So I got a two fuel can fitting sets. They can be screwed down like the bulkheads. I also got the hose clamp things. Put it all together let it go over night. Got up this morning and the bottle was REALLY tight! Still nothing. Just not enough pressure for the Rhinox 2000. I just put it all back to the old airstone this morning. I will just leave it that way until my pressurized comes. I might try the bleach soak before hand.

I really need to get some co2 in there. Starting to get more algae. :eek5:

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
FWIW, in the future, forget the bulkhead fittings, and the fuel barbs, total waste of time and money (been there myself).

Just drill the holes in the cap smaller than the tubing you are using, cut the tubing on an angle (so it has a point), push through, then use needle nose pliers to pull the rest of the way. No leaks, less places to fail.

·
Registered
256 Posts
FWIW, in the future, forget the bulkhead fittings, and the fuel barbs, total waste of time and money (been there myself).

Just drill the holes in the cap smaller than the tubing you are using, cut the tubing on an angle (so it has a point), push through, then use needle nose pliers to pull the rest of the way. No leaks, less places to fail.
I've found you get a much more solid fitting by putting a drilling the cap and screwing a one ended barb into it, especially for higher pressure situations like when using a glass diffuser. That was how I originally had it, and eventually, the silicone peeled off from the vinyl tubing and caused leaks. This way, I can even remove the tubing if I wanted to. It will cost like 2 bucks more and take maybe 5 more minutes of your time, but you don't have to worry about the silicone coming undone if you accidentally twist the tubing.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
If you drill the hole small enough, you don't need silicon to seal the hole.
When you pull the tubing through, it flexes, and gets narrow, when you stop pulling it returns back to it's original shape, and totally fills the hole, if drilled properly.
I've found this works well with silicone tubing, better with clippard tubing, and not as well with the vinyl.

I use this technique on all my bubble counters (3 of them) for use with pressurized, and a CO2 diffuser, and pressurized, and a CO2 reactor.

Also, I cut it about 1" above the cap and that is where my check valves go.

·
Registered
256 Posts
If you drill the hole small enough, you don't need silicon to seal the hole.
When you pull the tubing through, it flexes, and gets narrow, when you stop pulling it returns back to it's original shape, and totally fills the hole, if drilled properly.
I've found this works well with silicone tubing, better with clippard tubing, and not as well with the vinyl.

I use this technique on all my bubble counters (3 of them) for use with pressurized, and a CO2 diffuser, and pressurized, and a CO2 reactor.

Also, I cut it about 1" above the cap and that is where my check valves go.
I tried the no silicone thing and what happens with vinyl is that it that after a while, the part that is snug against the cap shrinks from the pressure, and it doesn't seal as well. Admittedly, I haven't tried this with the other types of tubing though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had it with just the tubing going threw a smaller hole and I got leaks. This glass diffuser is a Mutha ! It is going to take so much pressure that you need something a little more industrial to hold the pressure in.

The tube threw the hole thing works just fine when I use my regular airstone as a diffuser, but not with the Rhinox 2000 (at least not for me).

I will probably just soak in bleach tonight and hook it up again tomorrow morning and see if it lets some threw.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I had it with just the tubing going threw a smaller hole and I got leaks. This glass diffuser is a Mutha ! It is going to take so much pressure that you need something a little more industrial to hold the pressure in.

The tube threw the hole thing works just fine when I use my regular airstone as a diffuser, but not with the Rhinox 2000 (at least not for me).

I will probably just soak in bleach tonight and hook it up again tomorrow morning and see if it lets some threw.
That's exactly what I found when switching from an airstone to a glass diffuser. Put in the brass barb and it's solid as a rock now.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
It'll never work with DIY. Don't waster your time. Use the bubble ladders or an airstone. I tried with 2x4L bottles of mix and never got a single bubble. Works just fine now with my 20 lb CO2 canister. :D Search around the threads. It's documented that it doesn't work with DIY CO2.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It'll never work with DIY. Don't waster your time. Use the bubble ladders or an airstone. I tried with 2x4L bottles of mix and never got a single bubble. Works just fine now with my 20 lb CO2 canister. :D Search around the threads. It's documented that it doesn't work with DIY CO2.
Actually. I think it is possible. maybe with a smaller diffuser

see this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-da1nJjkIk

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.