The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
It is available right now, 399$ cnd the lower price I got a quote.
Hi,

Where is it available for CDN $399? Reefsupplies says $449.

thanks

V

Bump:
I have a prebuild version of this light -- it's one of the best lights I've ever used. The new optics really do spread out the light, and the new color ratios are much improved since their previous version which was way too blue. The ecosmart live capabilities work just like the old system. The PAR is high, and well distributed. I will put together a review in the next few weeks, and add a link when done that includes more info...
Would you call it an upgrade to the existing lights? I have two of those on my 4' tank. However, there are some holes in the coverage which I need to fill. Is it worth getting these or I can just get two finnex ray 2 to cover up the gaps for less than the cost of one of these?

thanks

V

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Nice review.. and not fair.. A XR30 for fw..

I don't think anything you posted was surprising to me. LED fw has been "fumbling" around on spectrum for awhile now and they pretty well nailed it.
to be fair it really has more to do w/ channels than anything else though.

One nit picky point.. not sure if a XR30 is really needed for FW.. It is massive overkill of PAR in a smallish footprint..
Like sbreefs.. but only way more expensive ..sort of.. well on a basic sbreef..

Shouldn't consider this a negative, it just is..
Seeing a PAR spread chart over an area may change my mind.. instictively the 2 puck design is too close together..

Oh and if they would change green to cyan.. ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm planning a 40b tank, and seriously considering this light. Does anyone know from experience if this light provides a true 36" footprint? Or would 2 lights be necessary for good coverage in a 36"? Thanks so much!

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
I'm planning a 40b tank, and seriously considering this light. Does anyone know from experience if this light provides a true 36" footprint? Or would 2 lights be necessary for good coverage in a 36"? Thanks so much!
Not experience but a good chart..

rough "mapping" of a40b..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not experience but a good chart..
Thanks so much! My plan is to have one edge of the tank be sand and less planted, so 1 may do it. Was gonna get 2 Halos, but my mind is changed. I live close to ThatFishPlace in PA, and they have a good price along with in store coupons. Thought I'd have to blow $700 on the Halos, but I may get better lighting for under $400 including mount.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I assume the xr30 version will be coming out for freshwater since they sent you one. Did they give you any idea of when? I emailed Ecotech asking for info, but I haven't gotten a response.
Actually, I'm not sure this is the case. The one they sent me was an extra custom build for a corporate customer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
As an update, Ecotech responded to me and said they will not be releasing an xr30 for freshwater at this time.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
As an update, Ecotech responded to me and said they will not be releasing an xr30 for freshwater at this time.
Not surprising .. $300 plus FW leds are a hard sell as is.
XR30 at whatever is both overkill (better just 2 xr15's geometrically speaking) and expensive..

21 - 40 of 40 Posts