The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If I fix my nutrient problem will the algae just go away on its own?

I'm going to EI since I think my algae is coming from multiple deficiencies. It arose and I cut nutrients (ROOKIE MISTAKE) I run the finnex planted+ now.
I think my original issue was dosing nutrients with an old CFL that wasn't putting out enough light for the plants to utilize the nutrients.

So now I'm here: starting EI dosings with excel, finnex planted+ with lights 6hrs per day.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I think your old CFL was the source of your algae problems. Algae will not go away unless light, co2, and nutrients are in balance. As far as deficiencies you can only have one at a time.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright well, now it's coming back. I'm going to dismantle and restart the tank.
New Question:

The BGA is in my sponge filter. Should I replace the filter?

·
Super Moderator
12,131 Posts
Alright well, now it's coming back. I'm going to dismantle and restart the tank.
New Question:

The BGA is in my sponge filter. Should I replace the filter?
You can sterilize it with a bleach solution dip. Once well rinsed and soaked in dechlorinator, it would be fine to use again.

·
Registered
879 Posts
If I fix my nutrient problem will the algae just go away on its own?

I'm going to EI since I think my algae is coming from multiple deficiencies. It arose and I cut nutrients (ROOKIE MISTAKE) I run the finnex planted+ now.
I think my original issue was dosing nutrients with an old CFL that wasn't putting out enough light for the plants to utilize the nutrients.

So now I'm here: starting EI dosings with excel, finnex planted+ with lights 6hrs per day.
I had a similar issue this time last year. I then went to high lighting with LEDs and didn't go with CO2. Made it worse. Then I cut nutrients once I was doing CO2. Made it even worse. Then I studied up more to get things right but instead of starting over I utilized the 1-2 punch thread for algae and it was a blessing. A bleaching agent in combination with excel worked great then I got an algae neither would touch but algae fix did the trick. Then the seas were calm and remain as such. We all have to learn the hard way in some form or fashion. I think it's really the best way to learn. You'll get it right soon. I've still got a ton to learn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.