The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...remember I am new to the aquatic plants.

Do you only have to have all "low" light/ "high" light plants, or could you have a mixture? Do the "low" light plants suffer with the extra light? or is it like non-aquatic plants...some like shade, and some like sun? Low light, would you put drift wood or something to "shade" them?

Also, Java moss....most people have this in their tanks..what benefit does it have besides something for fry to hide in?...where can I get some in Texas?(Ellis County?)

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
...remember I am new to the aquatic plants.

Do you only have to have all "low" light/ "high" light plants, or could you have a mixture? Do the "low" light plants suffer with the extra light? or is it like non-aquatic plants...some like shade, and some like sun? Low light, would you put drift wood or something to "shade" them?

Also, Java moss....most people have this in their tanks..what benefit does it have besides something for fry to hide in?...where can I get some in Texas?(Ellis County?)

You can have a mixture. For plants that enjoy lower light you can shade them with plants or other items, just make sure they are getting light. Anything you can do to shade them is perfect as long as they get light.

Moss feeds off of nitrates from what I hear. It is good for fry and also baby shrimp. If you put it in a container with a betta in it, the betta has a larger chance of survival since the moss is feeding off the nutrients the betta is supplying!

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
Actually, I don't know of any "low light plants" that wouldn't thrive under higher light conditions.

You could say that "low light plants" are more adaptable to lower light levels, while "high light plants" are not, they need higher levels to thrive.

So if you have a high light tank, you can definitely mix, or put only "low light" plants in it, if you would like.

·
Registered
773 Posts
You can also get java moss from members of the board for pretty cheap, post a request down in the shop and swap ;)

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
High light plants need high light (duh) and low light plants will thrive in high
light, bottom line, with maybe a few exceptions *cough* anubias *cough*

·
Registered
680 Posts
Hey Suzie, I agree with Wasserpest that 'low light' plants will do well under 'high light'. There is no need to separate them out. However, when you're first starting out a tank, and in your case being a newby as well, I wouldn't recommend starting with a lot of 'high light' plants. Plant heavily with fast growers, which usually are not the 'high light' plants. Once you've established your tanks and you have your feet wet, pardon the pun, :) start putting in the 'higher light', often harder to grow, type plants.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Great Info guys! Thanks, I am learning a lot(my questions might irritate most people, but please be patient with me, I am learning!)...I am going to get the CF? bulbs from walmart today (temp solution) until I can get better ones...I put sprigs of my hornwart and cabomba in my 6g...the light is a fluorescent bulb that came with the tank..eclispe, the cabomba is doing ok, but the hornwart is not..any suggestions(like why is the M/H doing ok, and the L/H not..besides the ovious need for more light)? The cabomba needs med/high and the hornwart needs low/high...I don't understand. What are the EASIEST plants to start out with?
THANK YOU!!!!

Edit:
I don't have CO2 going on my tank yet (only have the two plants)...should I?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts