The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are they really melting, dying or something else ?

sorry for the dirty tank its water change/ tank maintenance day

here is a pic of my Hygros at least thats what the store called them. the leaves now have holes in them.
i assume that the leaves were growing out of the tank ,because they have flower buds.
the same is happening to my pennywort

both plants added about a week ago

ive been dosing
excel
nitrates
potassium
flourish comp
as per instructions on bottle

are they really melting, dying or something else ?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Are you dosing CO2 on the tank? What kind?

How MUCH of each fert are you dosing?

What are your lighting and substrate?

How long have you had the plants?

Without knowing any of the above info, there's also a good chance that the plants were grown emersed and now that growth is dying off as the plant converts to submerged.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you dosing CO2 on the tank? What kind?

How MUCH of each fert are you dosing?

What are your lighting and substrate?

How long have you had the plants?

Without knowing any of the above info, there's also a good chance that the plants were grown emersed and now that growth is dying off as the plant converts to submerged.
i believe all that info is in the first post except

my 78wat t5ho hagen Glo light
and a mix of 15lbs flourite and 25lbs gravel

i also think they were emersed but ive never had plants b4 so i dont know what to expect

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i use Flourish Excel but no actual Co2 if that is what your asking.

i thought id try out fourish excel to see how that goes, however i have
been looking at some systems, maybe ill get myself one for the new year.

im still very new to this and dont want to spend big $$$ then screw it up

40 gal breeder i think
aqua clear 70 filter

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
do you think its the plants were emersed and now shedding old to make new?
do you mean my waiting is a good idea or the co2?
i also have dry ferts coming this week ill be giving that a shot when seachem stuff is gone

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i know its kinda off topic but what fert tabs would you suggest i use for my stem plants?
right now im using hagen fert sticks i dont think i like them to much i didnt notice any diff since i put them in about 3 months ago

thanks for all your help

·
Registered
987 Posts
That's really strange because there are many plants that melt a tiny bit when put into a new tank, but usually plants grown emersed do a little better because they aren't going from one set of water parameters to another. Crypts notoriously melt but hygrophila polysperma is a weed and doesn't usually do that. The only melting I've had in my tank was when I moved my lights to hit the foreground and I left some high light plants in the back with hardly any light (they didn't like that). CO2 will always be beneficial but I've never seen plants melt without it.. just get covered with algea.. especially under good lighting. Is there anything blocking the light.. driftwood, floating plants, etc...?

The pics I see of your plants really don't look like they have T5HO light hitting them..

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
a tiny bit of calcium on the glass canopy, not enough to block any light IMO, but that is it and i fixed that last night

the thing that gets me is that its only happening on those 2 plants

i went to the fish store to look at theres again but its not happening on theres . it is still same batch
pics might be lame cause i got a crappy camera but it still takes photos so i use it
pics of light

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You haven't mentioned dosing phosphates, and they are essential for plant growth. Without phosphates the plants won't do much growing no matter how much of the other nutrients you feed them.

The light you are using is very high for that high a tank. You can use it, but if you don't use pressurized CO2 you will likely have problems, especially with algae, eventually. If you raise the fixture a few inches above the tank that will reduce the intensity and make life easier for you.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ive got dry ferts comin with phosphates
i bought
NPK, csm+B
any other recommendations?
maybe some iron in my future

ill try raising the lighting until i get co2

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
The plant in the second picture is a form of pennywort, possibly Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides (Lawn Marsh Pennywort) & looks to me like the leaves are just mature & starting to fade out. It's not the easiest to keep, but if that plant is happy it should grow with good light.

Tommy

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 golden ram
1 dojo loach
10 black neons
3 congos (1male 2 female)
1 african butterfly
1 male guppy
1 crown tail betta
2 golden wonders (1 male 1 female)
2 bulldog plecos... i suppose it could be these guys but ive never seen them on any plants at all even at night. ive had them 5 months

1 - 20 of 24 Posts