The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am from India. I have set up an 18 gal recently. Been about 20 days now. I used fluval stratum with my old ADA amazonia (6months old). Initially had used only tissue culture plants.

Monte Carlo
Hairgrass
Hydrocortile tripatita
Staurogyne repens
Stage 1 - Entire meltdown except 1 stem of Hydrocortile
I took an ammonia reading and it was more than .25 ppm

Stage 2

Waited for 5-6 days and replanted thia time denser with mature Java fern narrow leaf, Amazon sword, some moss that was lying in a previous tank, Monte Carlo, new Hairgrass, more Hydrocortile,Pearlweed HM (tissue culture). Windelov fern, Bolbitis

Update
Monte Carlo started melting after a week, Hairgrass melted partially, Pearlweed also melted substantially. Other plants are robust but not yet looking fresh. Bolbitis has shown some melting as well

I have used Api stress zyme, Api stress coat (to de chlorinate and Tropica Premium)
Currently in India we can only get Chinese lights. I have 2 x 15 watts running. Co2 running at 1 bps.

Co2 indicator is green - drop checker
Ammonia is 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates between 5-10 ppm
PH is considerably lowering down compared to tap water
From 7.2 is to 6.3 ish
Temperature here went up till 36 degrees last week now its down to 30

Requesting advice on the following
1. How to stop the meltdown
2. Should I have used Api quick start instead of stress zyme
3. I can see some white stringy stuff on dying plants not sure what they are
4. I am doing water changes alternate days and dosing Tropica premium should I reduce
5. Yesterday I have seen some brownish algae on glass does that mean that the tank is cycling

Will appreciate your advice and help

A67FBAD7-F835-4BE9-924E-BEDACA530F30.jpeg 29671A51-4DA2-438C-A69B-F3339E796331.jpeg 90DC000C-48AF-4BC6-A242-3C507A98289C.jpeg EA2C5E3F-4E82-4EE6-9ACD-D83182AA717A.jpeg

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hi Welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice setup. Give it time and water changes and it will get matured biologically. Brown stuff is diatoms stage very common at starting stage.

30 DegC is too high for the planted tank. You can use cooling fans to get the temperature down 2-3 Deg.

Reg co2 injection are you saying you are getting a drop from pH of 7.2 prior to co2 on to 6.3 with co2 injected? If so then that’s good and you should go ahead with it.

If you are using tap water or Borewell water have you done a TDS reading. May be your water is too hard for plants. Most plants can do ok in moderately hard water as well.

How is the flow in the tank? Good flow is imp for circulation. Pls highlight on this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice setup. Give it time and water changes and it will get matured biologically. Brown stuff is diatoms stage very common at starting stage.

30 DegC is too high for the planted tank. You can use cooling fans to get the temperature down 2-3 Deg.

Reg co2 injection are you saying you are getting a drop from pH of 7.2 prior to co2 on to 6.3 with co2 injected? If so then that’s good and you should go ahead with it.

If you are using tap water or Borewell water have you done a TDS reading. May be your water is too hard for plants. Most plants can do ok in moderately hard water as well.

How is the flow in the tank? Good flow is imp for circulation. Pls highlight on this.

Hey Sudhirr , thank you. I am using a Sun Sun Hb 803 HOB canister which has a decent flow for this tank. I do have a skimmer to create some cross current as well so that the Co2 circulates easily. I had some seachem denitate and ehiem filter media that I have used here from my previous tank.

i can see some white stuff in the aquarium corners as well. Will do a water change tomorrow and add api quick start that got delivered today. Keeping my fingers crossed. Didn’t get lucky with Monte Carlo. Hopefully the Hairgrass grows well. I don’t have anything to test tds. Will try and get a kit.

BR,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Sudhirr , thank you. I am using a Sun Sun Hb 803 HOB canister which has a decent flow for this tank. I do have a skimmer to create some cross current as well so that the Co2 circulates easily. I had some seachem denitate and ehiem filter media that I have used here from my previous tank.

i can see some white stuff in the aquarium corners as well. Will do a water change tomorrow and add api quick start that got delivered today. Keeping my fingers crossed. Didn’t get lucky with Monte Carlo. Hopefully the Hairgrass grows well. I don’t have anything to test tds. Will try and get a kit.

BR,
Yes tap water Ph is 7.2 which is coming down when added in the tank with Co2 injected. 6 hrs

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sun Sun Hb 803 HOB canister which has a decent flow for this tank. I do have a skimmer to create some cross current as well so that the Co2 circulates easily. I had some seachem denitate and ehiem filter media that I have used here from my previous tank.
All good.

Pls share pics of the white stuff. Should be some fungus. Normally grows on driftwood in new setups. Its benign.
Do not give up on Monte Carlo, its much more rewarding than HG IMO. Wrote up on my exp: Growing Monte Carlo as a Carpet – My Experience so far

Yes tap water Ph is 7.2 which is coming down when added in the tank with Co2 injected. 6 hrs
Your pH drop in the first 1 hour (assuming lights start at the 1 hour mark) should be close to 1 pH point. Do you have this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All good.

Pls share pics of the white stuff. Should be some fungus. Normally grows on driftwood in new setups. Its benign.
Do not give up on Monte Carlo, its much more rewarding than HG IMO. Wrote up on my exp: Growing Monte Carlo as a Carpet – My Experience so far

Your pH drop in the first 1 hour (assuming lights start at the 1 hour mark) should be close to 1 pH point. Do you have this?
Hey Sudhirr, the white stuff was definitely fungus. Slimy. I cleared it out in today’s clean up. It grew over the silicone of the joints. Also the ph went up considerably this morning since I forgot to switch off the skimmer. The drop checker turned blue. So my understanding is that the Co2 is bringing down the PH. Which also means that Fluval stratum doesn’t buffer.

The tank looks clean today. Ferns would need fresh growth to look lush. Windelov looks sad with some black spots and stuff. This is how i got them amidst lockdown 🤐. Java fern looks ok. I hope the bolbitis grows back as it had melted initially. Got something that was sold to me saying tenellus. But it is way longerthan that. Almost 4-5 inches. In my opinion it’s Amazon Sword and not micro swords. Let’s see how it shapes up. Even if it grows into swords it will look lush. Sad part is I have no space left for MC. I’ll probably get some more Hydrocortile tripatita and attach them to rocks to make the gravel part look more dramatic…. Lets hope for the best ….

Hey Sudhirr, the white stuff was definitely fungus. Slimy. I cleared it out in today’s clean up. It grew over the silicone of the joints. Also the ph went up considerably this morning since I forgot to switch off the skimmer. The drop checker turned blue. So my understanding is that the Co2 is bringing down the PH. Which also means that Fluval stratum doesn’t buffer.

The tank looks clean today. Ferns would need fresh growth to look lush. Windelov looks sad with some black spots and stuff. This is how i got them amidst lockdown 🤐. Java fern looks ok. I hope the bolbitis grows back as it had melted initially. Got something that was sold to me saying tenellus. But it is way longerthan that. Almost 4-5 inches. In my opinion it’s Amazon Sword and not micro swords. Let’s see how it shapes up. Even if it grows into swords it will look lush. Sad part is I have no space left for MC. I’ll probably get some more Hydrocortile tripatita and attach them to rocks to make the gravel part look more dramatic…. Lets hope for the best ….
But the good thing was that both the Java fern and the moss were pearling after the water change. That was a treat to the eye 👁😊😊

1 - 6 of 6 Posts