The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to these forums and joined after seeing loads of algae posts on google...

So I've started a new planted tank, 40 UK Gal, 75w lighting (Lifeglo 2), pressurised CO2 @ 30ppm (24hr PH test) and is planted out wtih hygrophila, wisteria, floating riccia & salvinia minima, rotala, valis, amazon swords and I have 60 fast growing stems on order....

My Co2 played up a week or so ago and since then I have developed what I believe is a heavy fuzz or green beard algae

My photoperiod is 5 on 2 off 5 on

Stocked I have 2 BN plecs, 4 Otto's and 4 Amano shrimp

I'm only dosin micro nutrients (Seachem Flourish) and have KN03 and KH2P04 on order. My substrate is made up of floropol, fluorite and tetra substrate pro

Can anyone help with getting rid of this algae, any comments are most welcome!!

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
Welcome to the Planted Tank sophos!

Getting a good continuous supply of CO2, and adding some macros would be a way in the right direction. You won't need to dose large amounts, your tank qualifies as low-light I think.

This sort of green hair/fuzz alga can be persistent, so be patient. Do you have a full tank shot? Adding more plants will help, sometimes removing plants that are totally overgrown with green fuzz is an option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the Planted Tank sophos!
Getting a good continuous supply of CO2
Thanks for the reply!!

The CO2 is has a soleniod so runs 1hr before lights on and shuts off when lights go off due to the reverse photo period- I'm sure I got the leaking problem sorted!! :icon_twis

Adding some macros would be a way in the right direction. You won't need to dose large amounts, your tank qualifies as low-light I think.
Yep, its currently at 1.8WPG, I'm presuming I will less that the EI amount for a 40 gallon?

This sort of green hair/fuzz alga can be persistent, so be patient. Do you have a full tank shot? Adding more plants will help, sometimes removing plants that are totally overgrown with green fuzz is an option.
Thanks for letting me know. I'm adding more stems (elodia and valis) to use more nutrients to try and outgrow the algae - hoping that the clean up crew will assist with the rest! I'm holding back on cleaning the glass until I conduct a 20% water change (Sunday) as I've read clearing algae can kickstart LOTS more growth.

Heres a pic of the tank.... Any more comments/tip/anecdotes on reducing this algae would be great!

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
Nice tank & interesting background. Don't worry too much, most new tanks go through some initial algae growth cycles before they balance out and plants take over. Adding some additional fast growers for more plant mass (the upper half is pretty empty) will be beneficial.

Definitely dose less than EI suggests, otherwise you'll have an algae farm. EI quantities are for tanks with high light, and full of fast growing plants, and 50% weekly water changes or so.

Don't skimp on water changes, tapwater is cheap, and fresh water gives plants a nice boost.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, just checked out your tanks in your sig - very very nice!!

Got home tonight - no CO2, the reg had gone bad again - sorted now :fingerscrossed: Algae growth has won today, can see a lot more due to the CO2

Can you help with a few more questions please....
  • In regards to water changes, I'm looking at 20% per week, would you increase this?
  • Would you scrape this algae off the glass or would it encourage more growth?
  • Do you have any suggestions on KN03 and KH2P04 dosage in this tank?
  • What would I expect to see when I'm starting to win the war? Will the algae change color or something?

Guess anything above this is going to be time bound

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The algae on the glass is probably green dust algae. You have two choices. One is to leave it alone for about 4 months until it grows through its complete life cycle, then scrape/wipe it all off. It shouldn't come back except very lightly. The other choice is to mount a full attack on it. Drain out 75% of the water, carefully wipe off all of the algae, remove and clean any infested plants or replace them, then refill the water and drain and refill again immediately. Then dose the fertilizers. Next day do the same. Next day do the same. Then do the same about twice a week for a couple of weeks. That should get rid of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The glass algae is very fine hair about 3mm long, tonight I done a 40% water change and added macros - CO2 is sorted now some fingers crossed I get somewhere...

Will shoot for another 40% on Sunday

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you can get them try American Flag fish. I added 5 to a 72 planted tank that had gobs of hair algae that I couldn't control. In less than a week there is no more for me to remove by hand. I swear by the little guys. The 5 SAEs, clown pleco and Amanos didn't touch the stuff.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, funny you say that as I bought one yesterday, already he/she is munchin on it - its really funny to watch, it attacks it with so much aggression :hihi:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts