The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having sold all my other tanks when moving into a studio apartment I'm now ready to purchase and start a new tank.

I would like some advice on a few things:

Tank Size
Filter
Substrate.

Those to begin with.

Thanks,

·
Banned
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would rather do a high light tank. I can dedicate no more than $1,000.00 but would prefer to be around half that.

I don't expect this to happen overnight either. I can dedicated about 4' of wall space (I think).

·
Registered
111 Posts
How much space do you have in the studio apt?? A 72 gallon bow front would be nice. Not too big but enough siize to aquascape. T5 lighting and / or a low watt, say 70 watts, Metal Halide, pressurize CO2, good substarte, eco complete or ada, lots of plants and you are good to go.

·
Banned
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not in the Studio anymore. I have about 4' of wallspace and I can come out far enough for a 75.

I only found one 72 Gallon bowfront locally and no stand for it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you got room for 4 feet of space I would suggest the 120 instead of the 75. It gives you more aquascaping room as its a deeper tank then the 75. Yet you can use the same 4 ft lighting scheme as with a 75g tank.

·
Banned
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, I decided on a bit smaller tank than everyone was recommending and I'm still going to come close to that 1K mark, even with the savings on the tank.

Here is a picture:

It's a 46 Gallon Bow Front (36x16x21). I got the tank, stand, hood for $249.99.

Cascade 700 Canister Filter - $104.99
AGA 300W Heater - $42.99
Test Kit - $44.99
Thermometer - $29.99 (digital)
Python $89.99 (50')

Also picked up my cycle & start right.

Now, I need some CF Lighting and substrate. I can get flourite locally, but nothing else. :(

·
Banned
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Banned
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I think I did ok. Picked up:
1x 20lbs Flourite
1x 20lbs Tahitian Moon Sand

And layered them for the substrate.

Then I picked up a Satellite 36" 96W CF and swapped the bulb with a 6700k/10k dual light (hope that will be good).

Here is a pic:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.