The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first attempt at a planted aquarium. My husband has been in to aquariums since he was a little kid. He wanted me to get really excited about aquariums and thought the best way to do that was to get me my own. So I decided to do a planted one. We've been reading a TON on here and will probably be posting a lot of questions in the weeks (or months or years :) ) to come. Here are the first few pictures of many to come.

This is my husband trying to get the light set up.

Here is the 60 pounds of eco complete... it's a 29 gallon aquarium.

My CO2 cylinder that we got yesterday. Also got the regulator yesterday too, currently it's hooked up on my husbands low tech planted aquarium that has goldfish. Will hook it up on mine when we get the filter in. The filter was supposed to be shipped last Monday, the 12th, but in fact was shipped yesterday the 16th. Oh well.

Filling up with water... woo hoo!

Put some rocks in... trying to water log my driftwood.

Water logging it didn't work so my husband took the slate off another extra piece of driftwood we had and put it on this one. I'm sure I will be changing the rocks and that other little piece of wood around 10 million times before I really like it.

Should be getting my filter next week.. can't wait for that. My dry fertilizers are coming in next week and my plants are going to be shipped on Tuesday, Wednesday at the latest. Can't wait for all the rest to come in so I get it up and running!

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Looks like your off to a great start! Now if only my wife would start to get this bug ... Maybe I'll try to get her into it. How did your husband convince you?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly? By making me feel guilty for not showing his enthusiasm. Plus, I knew that he's been wanting to set up a planted aquarium, so I knew that he would really enjoy helping me. Although he SAYS that I'm gonna have to do everything, he's been helping me out a lot, which I don't mind at all. There is a lot of stuff I don't understand yet. I've always enjoyed his aquariums and fish just never helped out with them. He brought up the subject of me getting my own aquarium ... he said that I would have to decide the size, what kind of tank I wanted, as far as fish, etc... That I would have to design everything and do all the maintenance. So here I am starting my own. We'll see how it goes. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, we had read about that. But the water in the bags was clear. The water is milky because I don't have the filter yet. When I get that, the water should clear up. Hopefully. :)

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Honestly? By making me feel guilty for not showing his enthusiasm. Plus, I knew that he's been wanting to set up a planted aquarium, so I knew that he would really enjoy helping me. Although he SAYS that I'm gonna have to do everything, he's been helping me out a lot, which I don't mind at all. There is a lot of stuff I don't understand yet. I've always enjoyed his aquariums and fish just never helped out with them. He brought up the subject of me getting my own aquarium ... he said that I would have to decide the size, what kind of tank I wanted, as far as fish, etc... That I would have to design everything and do all the maintenance. So here I am starting my own. We'll see how it goes. :)
Ahhh, guilt ... I might have some trouble, though. I'm not sure I have the capacity to make her feel guilty ...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, it's not necessarily him trying to make me feel guilty. It's just that I feel guillty about almost everything, whether or not I need to. It's not him, it's me. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I've had problems getting a filter... I ordered a Fluval 205 but then something happened and never got it. So the guy refunded my money back to me and I ordered an Eheim 2215. I haven't got it yet... so I'm using an ooooold hang on the back type filter. Although, it's on the front since I have no room on the back. It works, that is the main thing, since I got my plants in today.

In case you can't tell :icon_wink , I have no idea what I'm doing. So any advice/suggestions/outright demands :icon_wink would be helpful. Tell me what I'm doing wrong! Of course, the picture of the tank is horrible... I don't know why my pictures turn out so awful either. The water is murky from me stirring it up. I'm gonna keep practicing with my camera though, too. Here's a few pics...

·
Registered
612 Posts
Nice tank!
Are you planning on adding more plants? Keep up the good work. I wish I could get my hubby to take an active interest in anything other than video games. lol
He was the whole reason we started getting fish tanks. He begged me for over a year to let him get one and guess who ended up with the tank after all his fish died? Me
Well regardless of your reasons I'm still glad you decided to join us in this hobby. It can get very addictive. :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I'm gonna get some more plants. I thought that this would be more than enough... but I guess not. We're leaving on vacation in a few days, so hopefully while we're gone I can find some plants. We live 2 hours away from our nicest pet store so it's not real easy just to go out and get some. Here are a few more pics that I took after my last post.... you can see my "hang on the front" filter in some of them. :icon_lol:

·
Registered
664 Posts
The tank looks really nice. :)

The one thing I see is it looks like you've planted some of your stem plants in a bunch. I'd separate them out and either plant stems individually or in pairs. Also, I'm not sure what the plant in the clump in the front is, but I'd separate that out as best you can.

I'm redoing my 29g soon...changing to Eco, upgrading the lighting and adding pressurized CO2, so I'll be checking out your thread. ;) Please add pictures as it matures.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Welcome to the hobby :) I wish I had someone in the family that shared the love for the hobby with me or a friend :D Thankfully I have friends on here and other sites that share the hobby. The tank is looking very awesome! Congrats, and I wish you luck.

·
Registered
514 Posts
follow the advice above and move them behind low growing plants. Great start, i see you already have all the gadget and gizmo's already, just give it a little time and all those plants will fill in for you and once that happen trip them and replant them

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone! Okay, so I took a lot of the stemmed plants and separated them. I thought that I probably should, but decided to wait and told myself, "If I'm supposed to, someone on the forum will let me know." So thanks!

I still have a clump of that stuff (I don't know what it's called?) that I spread in the front left side... but I didn't want to spread anymore of it out. Maybe later....

Also, I decided that I really don't like the mirror on the back so I'm gonna have to figure out something to cover that up. All I know, is that I do not want one of those plastic backgrounds with the "scene". I don't know, maybe after my plants grow in I won't notice or mind the mirror so much.... but I think it has something to do with why my pictures look a little fuzzy.

Here are some pictures from after I separated some of the stem plants.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I think it looks a lot nicer and fuller now that you separated the stem plants :thumbsup: I would suggest a black background to the tank, plain and give the tank a sense of depth. And it brings out the color of the plants. ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is an update on my tank. It's been set up for almost three weeks. The black background is new. I also have 5 amano shrimp and 5 RCS. Plus several snails that were included with the plants I bought evidently. :icon_roll The plants have grown quite a bit.

I've also been having a problem with algae. When we came back from our week long vacation I had spot algae that I scraped off. A little bit came back but it's nothing major. I also have this other algae that is hanging off some of the plant leaves. I can't figure out what it is. I've looked at a lot of different pictures and descriptions of algae. I thought it was thread algae, but I read that all you have to do to get rid of it is get a toothbrush and roll it around the algae and it will come right off. Well, I did that and nothing happened. Finally, I tried to scrape it off, and I really had to work at it with my fingernail to get a little piece off. It is real thin stringy stuff... I thought some of it was really long, but can't find the long pieces now, and it's green. I also have some weird clear slime on my driftwood. I was hoping the shrimp would clean it off.. and they may have to some degree, but the majority of it is still there.

My KH rose quite a bit and I don't know why. It started out at 5degrees, then went to 8, then to 7, and now it's back to 9. I took out my rocks and a cupful of the eco complete and I'm testing both to see if either one is the cause.

I started dosing GW's dry fertilizers Monday.

Here's the picture I took tonight of the tank.....

I also tested the water parameters tonight....

KH- 9degrees
ammonia- 0
nitrate- somewhere between 0 and 5ppm
ph- 6.6
nitrite- 0
phosphate- somewhere like 3-4?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just tonight I've noticed some BBA starting on the Java fern. Thought about just throwing the plant out but I may try spot treatment with Excel first. For some reason my phosphate levels are really high... 10ppm. So I haven't been dosing phosphates this week. Learning as I go.

Here is the latest picture...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.