The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a marineland eclipse 12 from my local petsmart for a whopping $22. :)

I'm still debating what I should do with it but it'll either be a planted gold ram tank or a first plunge into saltwater.

Few questions however, if I did do saltwater what all would I need to make it work? Anyone have some advice or suggestions? Any links to a few good sites if I do go with salt?
I know it would be a little small for a first sw tank but it would be just a start to see how everything goes.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I don't know if a 12g would be the best first SW tank to start with, everywhere I read small saltwater tanks are much harder to maintain. That being said I've never done saltwater. I do plan on it somewhere down the road but I would want a decked out reef tank, when money permits.

·
Banned
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright then I'll drop the sw idea and I'll save it for later when I feel like taking down the 75. Ram tank it is.
I do have a nice manzy branch I haven't found a use for that I could possibly use in there.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
426 Posts
I tried a 3 gal JBJ pico reef last year. It was a PTIA and everything ended up dying anyways.

SW tanks need RO/DI water. I had gallons and gallons of DI water sitting in my small apartment. Granted my tank was rimless, so I had constant evaporation, but it was a pain. Measuring salinity and doing topoffs/water changes was a hassle too. I had some mystery crab in the tank that killed everything before he eventually died.

I was only kinda trying it as an experiment, but as I said, it didn't go well. If you're serious about a SW tank, I'd really do something larger, 30 gallon minimum as Coursair stated above.

I've not written off doing a SW tank again. Perhaps one day when time, money, and space permits.

Good luck with the ram tank.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I had a gold pair spawn in a 10 gl. breeder set-up years ago. Just had PVC pipe & elbow, 1/2 clay flower pot, heater & sponge filter. I had a lot of horn wart floating on the surface (3"). I had back & sides painted.

That said, I think a heavily planted small tank, with just a dither fish (guppy, comet etc.) and you should be able to get them to breed.

Good luck, I look forward to seeing your tank.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.