The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I started my second attempt to set up a plantedtank, the first one lasted 4 years, it was not brilliant but it held up. In this assembly I accepted the suggestion of a local seller to control the algae, something that in the 1st tank I always had on the rocks. I would like to know your opinion for some points and where I went wrong or just irrelevant, and if anything changed, if it is still in time.
Setup:
Cube 45x45x45
Filter JBL 901
Co2 1 drop/sec
Light AI Prime Freshwater LED
Sera Floredepot / Tropica Aquarium Soil
plants: Proserpinaca palustris / Echinodorus tenellus / Pogostemon helferi / Alternanthera reineckii mini / Staurogyne repens / Eleocharis parv mini

1) 6H at the beginning and increase to 7h from the 3rd month
2) seachem Purigem
3) seachem SeaGel - only for the first 2 to 3 months, then discard
4) Start fertilizing in the 3rd week and dose in the first days
5) Water changes 50% every day in the 1st week
6) Increase changes until the 4th week, then 30% to 50% 1x a week.
7) Suggestions??

Thanks for advice

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
It's a bit out of my knowledge range... but my only question is...what is your water source?

The soil appears to be an active substrate which lowers the pH of the water. This means that each time you do a water change, if the water contains KH, you will have fluctuating water parameters. If the pH used to be around 6 and now it's closer to 7, that could be a sign that it's losing it's buffering abilities....

It's recommended to use RO water with GH minerals to keep more stable parameters.

That said, it may not be a big deal if you plan on using the tank for hardy fish. If it's for shrimp, you might have issues?

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
614 Posts
I second Zoidburg's points on the soil and PH changes. This initial setup is why I don't like dirted tanks personally. I'd rather just use tabs as needed. Since one day you'll need tabs even with dirt unless you redo it all.

I was thinking on the algae side. It's going to come from one nutrient not being used enough. Learn the relationships and correlations of those nutrients. Usually it's a macro nutrient that creates the algae or too much light or both. Micros, learn them too as they will help the plants use the Macros more readily. So if you can, test that light, this may be why you have/had algae. I have you heard around 25-35 PAR at the substrate.

·
Dwarf Fish Lover
471 Posts
I would go buy more cheap and easy to grow stem plants. A lot more in fact. And just stick them around the hard scape. Most of them don’t need to be rooted in the substrate. These fast growing plants will help you combat algae in the new tank. You can start to replace the stems with whatever plant of your choice later, but you really don’t want to just have this light blasting at your tank like this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.