The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It isn't often that I buy a plant when I don't know what it is, but I made an exception with this one. The store didn't know what it was even though they had 5-6 bunches of it. So, if anyone knows what it is, please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, both of you :). Oddly enough this was one I was looking for a couple months ago, so this works out well. I think that finishes off my plants in this tank now.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
That's Hygrophila polysperma, not Ludwigia.
I don't think its a hygro. The veins in the leaf look off and the stem itself doesn't look right to be polysperma. More likely it is a ludwigia, or maybe a nessea.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Not to stray off topic but what is the funny floating balls?
It is dwarf riccia netted to bio-balls and tied off with fishing line. I ran out of places to put the riccia I got and this worked well.

I don't think its a hygro. The veins in the leaf look off and the stem itself doesn't look right to be polysperma. More likely it is a ludwigia, or maybe a nessea.
That's Hygrophila polysperma, not Ludwigia.
If I get a closer shot of the veins in the leaves will that help out?

Edit: Here's some extra pictures if it helps confirm or change the ID of it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the identification everyone. After looking at the pictures online of it I have to agree. Looks like this is one plant that the trimmings will be going in the trash. I'm not looking to spread an invasive plant through Indiana. It's surprising that the store still sold it. Still an awesome looking plant though.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Now that its been correctly identified, is this plant illegal in the US? Ive found some old threads saying it is, but those are from like 2004......
Thanks!

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Now that its been correctly identified, is this plant illegal in the US? Ive found some old threads saying it is, but those are from like 2004......
Thanks!
Plants listed on the federal noxious weed list are illegal to sell, to move/ship across state lines, and to import from abroad (without proper paperwork). As far as i know, you can own them if they were acquired legally, e.g. purchased within your state lines or imported with licenses.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Plants listed on the federal noxious weed list are illegal to sell, to move/ship across state lines, and to import from abroad (without proper paperwork). As far as i know, you can own them if they were acquired legally, e.g. purchased within your state lines or imported with licenses.
Indiana recently went past this and made it illegal to distribute all together within state lines, along with a few other plants.
http://www.in.gov/activecalendar/Ev...idn=58531&information_id=118124&type=&rss=rss

1 - 15 of 15 Posts