The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Over on UKAPs I have decided to enter the pico comp.
Instead of making 3 threads I thought I would simply post them all in one.

so to start with the smallest, Think it is less than 100ml

Name: Gill

Tank Dimensions (Height/Width/Depth): 10 - 6 - 6 - Novelty Light Bulb

Aquascape Name: Forgotten Lair

Hardscape/Materials used: Crushed Slate, Shattered Slate, Powdered Slate, Cotswold Bluff Chippngs, Potting Compost.

Plants: Terrestrial Moss - Grown Emersed in a Bucket for a few Months = Whatever has been growing in it.

Fertilisation: N/A

About the aquascape:
Ok so to say that this one was tideous is an understatment. I do not have steady hands and using Hammer and Chisel was a little precariuos to smash and shatter the slate (Left Over from past Tanks).
I had an idea to carve (Dremmel) more interesting shapes in the Bluff Chippings, but it did not look very good.
As I was shattering the Slate I remembered that the Slate from the Rainbow Crabs Tank(Previuos Owners) was very soft and could be crushed into a Very Very Fine Substrate, so that was the next job using a Hammer.
I decided that I was going to get a pot of HC from PAH but decided against that due to money restraints (So Skint), and Decided to try some of the Moss i have been growing in the Garden.

So with that out of the way here are some pix. There are a lot of them.

Photos:

Moss and Bluff

Carving Bluff

Soft Slate to be crushed into Substrate

End Result

Firstly Adding Some Sand and Pea Gravel as a Base

Added some of the Crushed Slate

On Top of the Sand Mix I added some Potting Compost and then some of the Bluff Chippings.
Onto this I placed a Clump of Moss and Started to Play Around with the Positioning of the Shards of Slate.
This was the worst bit as using tweezers to manouver in such an awkward space was time consuming and tediuos. Once I was happy with the placement I added smaller lumps of slate and stones or support. I basted in a little water to allow things to settle before carrying on any further.

I an Happy with the End Result, but may tinker with it a little.
I used lots of tiny flat peices of shattered slate to create lots of tiny caves and cave entrances within the scape. Which I hope is Visible.
For the final Shoot I will be using my Dad's new Sigma Macro Lens. Just need to learn how to use it, as it is Huge and Bulky.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Tank Dimensions (Height/Width/Depth): 11cm 12.5cm 10cm

Aquascape Name: Daphnia Petite

Hardscape/Materials used: Bogwood

Plants: Fissidens Fontalis, Christmas Moss, Java Moss, Flame Moss, Anubias Nana Petite, Marimo Balls, Amazon Frogbit.

Fertilisation: N/A

Total Cost: I think the Tank was £2

About the aquascape: I was trying to decide on what to do and went out yesterday looking for Vases in the Local FLorists.
I found that they all carried cubes but all to Big. I ended up buying a Lovely U Shaped Vase but it is Toooo High to enter.
So hunting around in the Garage I found this tiny little Display Tank that I bought from Last Mays BLA Auction in Corby. I had not used it before as it leaked. So soent a bit of time resealing the leak and Retaping the Edges and Base.
I decided to use all the Plants that I already had to hand, and Cracked the Bogwood into Smaller more Pointy Shapes.

The Inhabitants: 1 Baby Ramshorn Snail, Daphnia Magma, and Japanese Blue Guppy Fry dropped while I was scaping this.

Photos:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Tank Dimensions (Height/Width/Depth): 13x14x12

Aquascape Name: Riven

Hardscape/Materials used: Slate, Shattered, Crushed, Powdered, Pea Gravel, Compost,

Plants: Moss from the Kitchen Roof

Fertilisation: N/a

About the aquascape: This is Scape was inspired by mountains that have constantly shifting shale. I wanted to capture that aspect of a Mountain.
So Again with a Hammer and Many Hits to fingers and Cuts from the Razor sharp slate I have this.
I did not want to add much planting and left it minimal.
I am not sure whether to add any livestock to this apart from Dapnia, thinking of some snowballs Shrimplets to represent Mountain Sheep.
I forgot to add that the cube Cost £1 from HODDY, last year

Photos:
Slate - Which I have alot of left over, incase anyone wants some

Cube, adding base of gravel and Sand

Starting to Add the Backdrop of the Mountain

Adding Moss

Added the Powdered Slate first and then started to fill untill covered. Ontop of this I added More Slate rubble to create the Shale effect i was Going For.

I am Very Happy with How this has turned out, as this was what i wanted to achieve with a Larger Cube than the Daphnia Petite.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Very nice and well put together. The third pico has to my favorite out of all of them.

Who am I kidding, the first one is amazing, the fact that you managed to scape such a tiny area is beyond me and my patience. I think I might have smashed the little jar in a fit of rage!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys, Scaping the 1st one was bother entertaining and extremely Frustrating.

Riven is my Favorite and once the comp is over its the one i will keep setup.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
If the moss is terrestrial will it not rot?
I am wondering the same thing, because I have mosse by my abode that I would love to use! BTW, really nice tanks, especiealy Daphnia Petite.

·
Registered
3 Posts
wow!

I love Riven! that smashed slate is very cool. Where do you get your daphnia from - do you collect them yourself? I tried keeping some Daphnia going in a 10 g for awhile and failed miserably ... hey there's a glass jar right there :icon_idea

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So totally cool! Hope you win the contest!
Thanks
Those are all very intersting. I hope that you win and that you keep them all going.
I am only allowed to keep one, once the comp is over

If the moss is terrestrial will it not rot? Or are these just temporary for the photos and competition? They're lovely either way ,I was just wondering.
Eventually they will rot, but as its temp for the comp, it should last till the end of it,

Wow. Those are some intense scapes. I love the idea of using crushed slate. That's one I'll definitely have to try sometime!
Thanks the crushed slate eas by accident after smashing the larger peices and was left with all the debris, so decided to use it aswell

I am wondering the same thing, because I have mosse by my abode that I would love to use! BTW, really nice tanks, especiealy Daphnia Petite.
Thankyou
awesome tanks!
would you mind explaining how you made the moss wall for Daphnia Petite
Will Do, will post the journal here
I love Riven! that smashed slate is very cool. Where do you get your daphnia from - do you collect them yourself? I tried keeping some Daphnia going in a 10 g for awhile and failed miserably ... hey there's a glass jar right there :icon_idea
I always keep a barrel and a few buckets going with daphnia for feeding fry.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Supplies:

Plain Green Scouring Sheet - Cut to Size (Made sure it contained no detergetns or Perfume)

Rubber Coated Paper Clips to attach the Sheet

Fontanus

Ok To start with I teased it apart with tweezers to place onto the Sheet (making sure that the sheet was Waterlogged to keep the Fontanus Moist)

Once I was happy with the placement of the fontanus. I began the slow task of sewing it onto the sheet using green cotton therad(best match i could find in the wife's sewing box).

Once Happy, Did a water change on the cube and Moved the plants around so that i could fit this into place.
Once happy, filled the tank back up and Viola.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.