The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
►◊Ö Ï Ç◊◄
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I broke down the last month and desided to build a new toy. Here are a few specs.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Windsor 2.6GHz Socket AM2 Processor w/ 2 X 1MB on L2
OCZ Gold 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
MSI K9N Neo-F Socket AM2 NVIDIA
eVGA GeForce 7950GT 512MB GDDR3
2x--Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB Hard Drive, SATA 3Gb/s
DVD-R DL
ThermalTake Soprano case
UV light show

Anyone else build a new PC lately?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I want that video card NOW!

Looks like a really nice setup. Congrats on the purchase.

·
Registered
122 Posts
-duels- thats going to be similar to my setup, except I'm going with the Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz and then overclock it to 3.2 or higher :). Your setup sounds pretty darn good to me, those eVGA GeForce 7900GT sounds tempting. Don't know whether to stick with ATI or move on to nvidia.

·
Registered
140 Posts
1 week old,

Core 2 Duo E6400
2 GB Corsair XMS DDR 800
7900GS
ASUS P5N-E SLI board

Love it so far

Matt

·
►◊Ö Ï Ç◊◄
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At work I run P4 3.2 w/HT, 1 gig of ram, RAID 0 2x 60 gig drives and ATI 9600 Radeon video this is all in my work laptop. But the thing is around 12lbs.
But my new home machine just blows it out of the water. Everything is 2x faster. I am going to look at what I can do for a little overclocking but don't know if the board will hold it's own. I will get a few pictures of the machine when I get the black lighting in this evening.

those eVGA GeForce 7900GT sounds tempting. Don't know whether to stick with ATI or move on to nvidia.
Ya check out the eVGA cards they have lifetime warranty with also 90 day buy back so if you don't like the current card you get full price on the card and add some cash to get the next or highest card they make. Which I am so tempted in getting the 8800GTX card that has 768MB ram.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Nice compputer! .My Computer sucks i wanted to build a new computer but my parents think i will screw it up during the building process :(

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
I build a new home computer a few weeks ago. After many years with my (t)rusty Athlon 1.2 it was time for a faster machine. Keep in mind I am not a gamer, at all. I do some image processing, light video editing, DVDs and the usual office stuff.

Ultra Wizard Case: Free
Ultra 500W PSU: Free
Ultra 2x 512MB DDR400: $20
Sempron 3000+: $10
ATI mobo: $30
PCIe card: $30
Fans and stuff: $30
200GB drive: $20
DVD +/-RW DL: $30
20" Samsung LCD: $180
XP Home: $30

Most of these prices are AR (after rebate) and don't include S/H. So overall, excluding the LCD, a decent non-gaming computer for around $200.

Works great... I am thinking about a SATA RAID 0 setup to improve disc access, looking out for a pair of cheap SATA drives, but it isn't really necessary at this point. In a few years I will probably upgrade the Sempron to a faster Opteron.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I would not worry about RAID 0. In all truth of the matter unless you are using an application that thrashes the discs with constant disc access you won't notice a difference.

MaximumPC magazine tested it about 18 months ago and quit recommended RAID0 at that time based on the tests.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Startup time as I recall was about 5% faster. There is actually a lot of waiting during startup. If you optimize the disc it actually provides a bigger speed gain than the RAID 0.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts