The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
You're right, the add is very confusing. The $8 price difference between the single and double 24" fixtures seems pretty small to be adding another bulb. You'll probably need to call to get confirmation.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
~$25 for a fixture??!?! They're at least $110 here (Canadian)!

--cich

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
i'm buying two of those 24" double bulb lighting fixtures for my 55 gallon tank!! I cant believe its so cheap, i'm so happy :)

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
pufferfreak said:
i'm buying two of those 24" double bulb lighting fixtures for my 55 gallon tank!! I cant believe its so cheap, i'm so happy :)
I just called Dr. Foster & Smith and the lady I spoke to couldn't address the discrepancy on the web site. I'd just want to make sure that the 24" double fixture is actualy coming with 2 40w bulbs (80w total). If it is then that's one heck of a deal! :)

·
Registered
683 Posts
What I find odd is that page used to list 48" strips and such. They blew out of them and then changed their page. Not sure what is going on with it. Been eyeing one of the smaller ones for a 10 gal. I would definately try to get to the bottom of it before I ordered seeing as how I have personally seen that page change a few times in the past few weeks. I have a feeling that they blew out of the items and didn't realize there was going to be such a demand for them.

Matt

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
bharada said:
I just called Dr. Foster & Smith and the lady I spoke to couldn't address the discrepancy on the web site. I'd just want to make sure that the 24" double fixture is actualy coming with 2 40w bulbs (80w total). If it is then that's one heck of a deal! :)
I think each bulb is 20w making 40w per fixture. At least thats what i hope!! If its not, then i cant get them. I hope i'm right. :icon_frow

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
fishyboy said:
no I think it's 40 watt bulbs
That's what I'd suspect since I haven't seen any vendor that carries a 20w PC bulb. Even 40w bulbs aren't that readily available. 24" fixtures usually come with 55 or 65w bulbs.

If the dual bulb 24" fixture actually has 2 40w bulbs then that would be a great deal for $40. Especially since a 40w PC bulb runs about $20 by itself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ordered one of the 20" single 36watt fixtures. I'm expecting delivery tomorrow. I'll post pics and reviews of it when I receive it. Sucks that all the double-fixtures are on backorder cuz I also ordered one of the 20" double 36watters. :mad:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yah.. keep this one open.. if someone can find out about double bulb fixture.. I want to know (along with about 1,000 other people)..

That setup is cheaper than a ODNO setup (initially).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well I received the 20" single-fixture today which has one 36watt pc so I'm confident that the double-fixture has 2 bulbs, 24" double-fixture has 2 40watt pcs, 20" double-fixture has 2 36watters, and 12" double-fixture has 2 18watters. Nice, sleek silver fixture made in China that Drs. Foster/Smith slapped their brand sticker on the box. Fixture was packed very well. I thought maybe they had sent the wrong fixture due to the size of the box they shippped it in. Now what to do with all that excess packing foam.... :tongue: Fixture is similar, style-wise, to the lights you see on those Via-Aqua rounded corner glass tanks. The cord has a 3-prong plug. The bulb that came with my fixture, imo, isn't 6,700k. Looks more, to my eyes, like a 10k bulb. I'll try to get some pics up as soon as I can get my digital camera back from my brother.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Telecaster said:
Well I received the 20" single-fixture today which has one 36watt pc so I'm confident that the double-fixture has 2 bulbs, 24" double-fixture has 2 40watt pcs, 20" double-fixture has 2 36watters, and 12" double-fixture has 2 18watters. Nice, sleek silver fixture made in China that Drs. Foster/Smith slapped their brand sticker on the box. Fixture was packed very well. I thought maybe they had sent the wrong fixture due to the size of the box they shippped it in. Now what to do with all that excess packing foam.... :tongue: Fixture is similar, style-wise, to the lights you see on those Via-Aqua rounded corner glass tanks. The cord has a 3-prong plug. The bulb that came with my fixture, imo, isn't 6,700k. Looks more, to my eyes, like a 10k bulb. I'll try to get some pics up as soon as I can get my digital camera back from my brother.
i think there supposted to be 6500K :icon_conf

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, that's what their ads state. But the bulb in my fixture looks more 10k. Like a clean white with a hint of purple/blue? I'm bad at describing the color. :wink: I haven't taken the bulb out to check if the bulb's temp is printed on the bulb somewhere. I will just order a 6'700k bulb for my 10gal planted and use the stock bulb as a emergency/backup bulb.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MAN.. I can't wait till someone gets the double system to report..!!!!

Those fixtures are a steal in my book!!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Telecaster said:
What kind of reflector does the fixture have? Is it just plain white plastic or does it use some type of polished aluminum? Thanks for the info.

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
I bought one of each fixture single and double bulb 20 inch fixture.

The 20 inch double 36 watt fixture comes with two 36 watt bulbs. The reflector in both is shiny aluminum or something similar. The legs on the single bulb fixture are much better than the double. The double bulb fixture has better ventilation than the single. I think I might be drilling a few holes in both to help dissipate the heat. The double fixture has 2 switches but one power cord.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I'm very intersted in these, due to the strange 24" 40watt bulb...never seen a PC bulb that length/wattage.
I'm no electronics whiz, but one thing I suspect is that they are under-driving standard 55watt bulbs down to 40watts. I don't know if that's actually possible in a technical sense...just a theory.
These fixtures remind me of the Orbit fixtures...both of which look kinda junky IMO, but we'll find out when telecaster puts it to use.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts