The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'ello all! Another upsetting post :( About a week and five days ago, my much-beloved male Paradise fish, Bear, died from an infection while in a quarantine tank. About a week ago, I bought a new male, Cape, to replace his unfortunate predecessor in my 29 gallon tank.

Sadly, I have learned the hard way NOT to pick the dominant PF in the dealer tank. Cape has turned out to be a rogue psychopath, quite unlike all my prior PF's...he killed a zebra danio without me knowing, tried to kill several others, and I spotted him yesterday turning on my new long-fin platy (who my female PF, Pearl, has completely ignored, and who Bear would probably have ignored knowing him). Fifteen minutes of chasing with nets later, Cape was captured and transferred to a quarantine tank until I can determine what to do with him (at this point, he is most likely going to be replaced with a more docile, typical specimen).

Anyhow, here's what I am asking: the platy, Sara, had her fins reduced to little more than fin rays, and now has a white patch on her back near her tail. I need advice on how to treat the unlucky fish.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
They can be psychos. Worst than betas. You can return him or keep him by himself, maybe when a little warmer, you can make him a container pond. PF when mature are gorgeous.

keep the water clean and a little salt for the wounded.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He's probably going to be returned. What has me confused is that he was more aggressive to the platy and danios than he was to the other paradise fish in the tank, Pearl...which leads me to think that Cape is a fluke, as anabantoids in general are supposed to be much more aggressive to their own kind than to other fish. Cases of PF's being kept in pairs or groups and still disrupting a community outside of when they breed (my tank has too much current for a bubble nest to be produced) are almost absent on the internet - Bear and Pearl both were/are model community fish, I think, because they had each other to bicker with. In any case, Pearl will be without a male counterpart for a few days at least, which shouldn't be a problem since she seems to be peaceful anyway.

Fortunately, Sara is still swimming and is showing less of the white spots, so I am hoping she makes a full recovery.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Paradise Fish are practically Betta's on steroids. The names these fish are given is perplexing. Angelfish? Paradise fish? Those new to the hobby might get the wrong impression. Sorry it didn't work out.

I'm currently testing waters with a Betta as we speak. >.>

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Paradise Fish are practically Betta's on steroids. The names these fish are given is perplexing. Angelfish? Paradise fish? Those new to the hobby might get the wrong impression. Sorry it didn't work out.

I'm currently testing waters with a Betta as we speak. >.>
would people buy them if they were called "psychopath fish" or "murderous rampage fish" lol well.... I guess if people buy fish called "green terror" and "Red Devil Chichlid" they might lol.

I have wanted one of these guys for years, but I would only do them in a species only tank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts