The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone got some protips for good acclimation / keeping these guys alive?

Anything you feel that can help with survival would be great to know before i leave to go buy em. I been searching high and low in my area and finally someone got some yesterday. Petsmart. 14 day guarantee too.

UPDATE: 8 hours in and they are doing great. fingers crossed.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hardy fish in my experience. As long as your tank is cycled and routine maintenance done they should be just fine. For acclimation a drip acclimation is always the best method for the fish if you don't know the parameters they are coming from. Other than that they should be just fine. They like to snack on diatoms if your tank has those. Otherwise I just toss in some algae wafers and veggie type snacks for them.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have had mixed experiences bringing in otos. The ones that never really ate came from Petsmart. None survived. I had a large school shipped from Wetspot (I think they acclimate their imports before offering them out) and they adapted to my tank just fine. My LFS refuses to bring any in because of high losses. There must be something those fish do not like about the importation process.

If anyone has a sure system for bringing in these fish I'd like to hear about it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
On this forum and elsewhere I've read about Ottos requiring microbes in their stomach to aid in the processing of their food. If the Ottos stomachs look to be caving in then they may not be eating due to lack of digestive aid. I believe some fish/disease treatments end up killing the microbes the Ottos depend on.

Sorry, no solid citation handy but if you have time to brush up on this concept it may be a major cause of Ottos not surving their journey.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
On this forum and elsewhere I've read about Ottos requiring microbes in their stomach to aid in the processing of their food. If the Ottos stomachs look to be caving in then they may not be eating due to lack of digestive aid. I believe some fish/disease treatments end up killing the microbes the Ottos depend on.

Sorry, no solid citation handy but if you have time to brush up on this concept it may be a major cause of Ottos not surving their journey.
Ive heard the same thing and even if the otto has a full belly, but the microbes are dead then the otto will still doe from starvation because it cant break down the food. It been really hit or miss with ottos for me. The ones from petsmart especially are probe to die within a few days of me getting them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
When I buy ottos I make sure they have been in the store for a week ottos. I've yet to lose in my newest tank. I usually only temperature acclimate my fish since I know the params of my tank are almost identical my LFS.

·
Registered
468 Posts
5 for 6 from Petsmart. 30 minute acclimation with a bit of Prime. The water from my tap it's also really good though. Neutral pH and soft. It's hard to tell if you lose one though if your tank is heavily planted. Mine never took to vegetables but they lover the sinking wafers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
When I buy ottos I make sure they have been in the store for a week ottos. I've yet to lose in my newest tank. I usually only temperature acclimate my fish since I know the params of my tank are almost identical my LFS.

This may be the best strategy to use. I find that even if there is a fish return policy that a new fish who dies is instantly eaten by my other fish/snails. Either that or it is not worth the drive to 'return' the dead fish.

One of my LFS refrains from selling new stock until they have been in the tanks at least a week.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I came home with 7 of the oto's, they actually looked pretty good minus the little bit of damage to their tail fins... I have no idea what caused that because they were in a tank of their own.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDDM2NIGtvA&feature=youtu.be

how do i know if the otos are eating or just laying there?

There are in the tank now after about 2 hours acclimation. They aren't doing very much at the moment, mostly stuck to the glass and one swam to a dw piece and is laying on it. How active are these fish and when should I start to get worried?

I am sure they are simply stressed out from the whole transfer of tanks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
They love Hikari algae wafers and I find they do best if the tank has some of that benign green algae (beard?) that grows on rocks and wood under high light as it provides a constant food source. Keeping their bellies full is the key to their long term survival. Take your time acclimating them also, like twice the time you would use to acclimate a tetra.

The ones in your video look perfectly healthy, they tend to do a lot of resting between brief spurts of activity.

·
Registered
171 Posts
With any new fish, turning the tank lights off for the rest of the day (at least) can be helpful. The otos will have been through great stresses during their capture, shipping and now transfer to a new tank ... Give the little guys a chance to settle in and they should become more active. But they will remain primarily noctural. :)

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They have now been in the tank for almost 8 hours. Light been out for the past 3 hours. They spent a lot of time today eating and then resting and eating and resting. moved around a bit too. I was surprised to see them as active as they were. By the way the tank looked like at the pet store I would imagine they were pretty hungry. I really hope I don't wake up to any stiffs in the morning. Really nervous about them, as I hear so many people who have difficulties with this fish. I feel if I can get them through the first few days I will be fine. Will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
are yours still all doing well? any tips on whats been working for you?

my nitrates are always very low 5ppm ish because my tank is understocked and well filtered and tons of plants. ph is around 6.6 temp is 79-80

currently have lots of algae for them.

How active are your fish? what are things I should look out for? like any tell tale signs they are doing badly ?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.