The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
The 48" model has 121 - .06 watt LEDs. That comes out to a whopping 7.26 watts for the whole fixture. This would have to be a fish only light, it would never grow plants.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
This wouldn't be a bad idea for my second light choice.

I run my T5ho (2x54) for 6hrs a day when this light is out I run my 2 T8 15W. I hate these T8's and considereing a T5No fixture. Maybe once they are back in stock I will grab the 48" model.

Hoppy what do you think, I dont need it to grow plants I want it when my T5 is off.

Photoperiod
6a-7a 48"T5Ho (2x54W) + T8 (2X15W)
6a-7a 24"T5Ho (1X34W)

7a-11a T8 (2X15W)

11a-1p
6a-7a 24"T5Ho (1X34W)

1p-6p T8 (2X15W)

6p-8p
6a-7a 24"T5Ho (1X34W)

8p-6a LIGHTS OUT.

Hoppy do you think this fixture could replace my T8's?

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
The LED lights are definitely misleading, lots of lumens on some but super low wattage :(

I have read that on the odyssea moonlights, dont understand why they burn out so quickly. Just an FYI for DIY LED's and misc LED stuff check out...

www.superbrightleds.com

Have ordered lots of items from them and never had any issues. They even have some that are waterproof... make for some cool interior accent lighting!

Also, quick question I have no really understood with LED fixtures, the whole purpose of LED existence is to produce light using considerably less wattage. (T12 vs T5) more with less. Other then using a PAR meter is there anyway to really know how well the LED will work over said tank? I have seen some LED bars with absurbly high lux ratings, yet they probably still would not be practical for a planted tank?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
LEDs can be little more than moonlights or they can be equivalent to MH lights. It all depends on the LEDs, how many are used, if any optics are used, how far they are from the substrate, what current they run at, etc. I don't know of any way to tell how much light you will get from a fixture that has generic LEDs installed, with little other data to go by. The best you can hope for now is that someone else has used that particular light and has taken PAR readings with that light.

·
Registered
345 Posts
DO NOT USE LEDs are that build with low wattage ones, especially the straw hat type!!!!
Low wattage LEDs' heat management is VERY BAD and not designed to run in 24/7 , well 8/7.

It's a known fact that MOST, if not all, grow light(and grow light mod to aquarium light) LED panels made with none power LEDs burn out quickly in the grow light market. This also have to do with the driving technique, when not running power leds, manufacturers tend to use simple resistor to control the level of voltage, thus the current thru the leds, but this technique is very unstable and shorten the life of the LEDs.

You need power leds to be meaningful in growing plants and/or corals and most of the time, manufacturer of lights that employs power leds pay a lot more attention to heat management and almost all uses constant current drivers.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I actually just got two of these today (18" / 54 LED model) to replace some T12's on some 10g. They're at home and I'm still at work so I really can't comment on their output or quality yet. I only got them to replace the T12's Im currently using, so Im not expecting more light output or anything, just less power usage. I'll report back once I get them setup later tonight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.