The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hallo !!
Im gonna make a 30ltr planted shrimp aquarium with neocaridinas( maybe yellow one's) and i will use shrimp king active soil as a substrateand maybe nano deponit mix, easy plants (i will not use co2, only seachem flourish and excel) . I want a iwagumi awuascape.
I want to know how to do the cycling of the tank from day one ,for example how many water changes ,if i put flourish , does anyone know how to help me?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
You're using an active substrate so your substrate contains the ammonia needed to cycle your tank. I know most aquasoils require 50% water changes every day the first week, every other day second week, 2 times the 3rd week and 1 time a week thereafter. I normally don't add any fertilizers until after my nitrates have hit 0 during the cycling process. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're using an active substrate so your substrate contains the ammonia needed to cycle your tank. I know most aquasoils require 50% water changes every day the first week, every other day second week, 2 times the 3rd week and 1 time a week thereafter. I normally don't add any fertilizers until after my nitrates have hit 0 during the cycling process. I hope this helps.
Can i put bacteria like this Bacto Elixier Bio | Dennerle ?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Yes, you can. I haven't used that specific product but I have used other bacteria in a bottle products, add just enough to replace what you removed during the waters changes, don't dose the for the entire tank (unless there are specific instructions saying so). Usually it's not a problem even if you do add too much but sometimes it can make your water cloudy.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
If you have access to testing supplies I would say do testing daily and once you've had a week of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 0 nitrate you should be ready to add livestock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts